Initial AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Linux Performance Is Very Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post

I read that Trump is trying to get TSMC to be a fab in america, he's willing to give them billions to build one. This would allow us defence contractors to build military chips using the latest nodes.
    It may also allow Intel to stop building shit chips.

Comment

Originally posted by kcrudup View Post

FWIW though, most of those are benign; my XPS and especially my HP Spectre throw up a bunch of warning messages from the Linux ACPI subsystem, but they never impacted the use of the machine (as the Linux ACPICA has had to become tolerant of "well, it works in Windows, so it's 'OK'" ACPI sloppiness from manufacturers).
      I wish that were true of the IdeaPad series (though it is relatively benign, in comparison with some vintage OEM PCs), however as I had mentioned, there are multiple issues, that plague Windows as well (such as LPM being broken, and in general, power management is poorer than I have seen with laptops from other series and brands).

I still rue the fact that I had bought my laptop (one month after release), when a similarly specced Dell Vostro 3568 (with the exceptions of better build quality, a dGPU, a larger trackpad, a matte 1080p screen, a larger, removable battery, Intel or Qualcomm WiFi, and a 3 year warranty), would have cost me (so I found out) around the equivalent of ~128$ less (I paid extra to extend the warranty from 1 to three years, and I also got Realtek WiFi) (and yes, the price comparison is with FreeDOS (Lenovo) vs. Ubuntu (Dell)).

Comment

I got the same laptop and installed ubuntu 20.04. The machine comes with device encryption turned on in windows. No need to turn it off. Dual boot with windows works. No need to fight with secure boot. The installation of ubuntu is very smooth.

The 4700u can compete with my dell with Intel 9850H and runs much cooler.

Seems no need to upgrade kernel beyond 5.4. Renior gets picked up correctly even with 5.4.0 newer than the release image.
        HTML Code:
        $ glxinfo |grep OpenGL
        OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
        OpenGL renderer string: AMD RENOIR (DRM 3.36.0, 5.4.0-29-generic, LLVM 9.0.1)
        OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6 (Core Profile) Mesa 20.0.4
        OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.60
        OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
        OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
        OpenGL core profile extensions:
        OpenGL version string: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 20.0.4
        OpenGL shading language version string: 4.60
        OpenGL context flags: (none)
        OpenGL profile mask: compatibility profile
        OpenGL extensions:
        OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 20.0.4
        OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          bridgman
          These results have me wondering:
          Is the 4700G gonna really be a thing in July? Is it something you can even comment on?

Because, dammit, these 4700 8c/16t APUs are the ones I've been waiting for since AMD APUs have been a thing
          I may be a closet soul mate.

I loved the ~2014 Kaveri APU ... for what it could become as much as what it was, so much, i bought amd shares, at $5-7, which tanked to $2 & I almost forgot about ... just sold at 47$ cos of corona virus.

i digress - all those years I have window shopped but never pulled the trigger, & the whole time was see sawing between apu & a dgpu path. I am not a gamer & would love to pass on an ugly & annoying discrete gpu if i can settle for a little less & avoid it.

time - i want to use my pc - not decrypt incompatibile combinations - safety in numbers - the comfort of a billion people w/ exact same gpu/cpu/chipset - a well trodden path has fewer snakes.

Renoir doesnt leave a lot to desire for most consumers except keen gamers IMO.

If so, there are many benefits, not least is the budget is awash with funds from the forgone DGPU - x570, 32GB 3600 ram & pcie 4 nvme seem affordable luxuries now.

Such a Renoir would be a very sweet system folks will flock to IMO.

Comment

An important unanswered? question for prospective desktop Renoir APU users, is the effect of the IGP on the PCIE lane count.

The current APU steals 8 lanes for some reason (puzzlingly the IGP ~saturates ram much faster than that via Fabric).

If the new APU leaves all 16 usable native pcie 4 lanes free, it means incredibly powerful io for a rig with decent graphics too - its a poor mans threadripper lane wise. 5x Raid 4 NVME? (yes - there are am4 mobos which bifurcate 8 & 16 lane slots, like TR does).

... and thats w/ touching the 8GB/s of bandwidth of the chipset.
            Last edited by msroadkill612; 14 May 2020, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Just got this exact model with the same specs. Ubuntu 20.04 installed fine and with the 5.6.11 and 5.7-rc5 kernels from kernel.ubuntu.com the graphics are fully enabled and compositing/gaming works.

The show stopping issue I'm having is suspend/resume does not appear to work. The machine doesn't accept input after resume. Anyone (Michael?) have any luck getting suspend/resume to work? If so, could you point me in the right direction?

Fingerprint reader also isn't detected, but I don't care much about that.

Comment

Originally posted by existensil View Post
                J

The show stopping issue I'm having is suspend/resume does not appear to work. The machine doesn't accept input after resume. Anyone (Michael?) have any luck getting suspend/resume to work? If so, could you point me in the right direction?
                This suspend/resume drama seems to be standard snafu for Ideapads. On 310 with Intel 6500U, what works for me; force performance then powersave mode (applet or script), after that fans spin down and resume works.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

TSMC is using not Eastern, and not western technology, But Central European Technology..

Remember that Europe starts very close to Asia( being Russia the most Eastern Country),
                  And ends close to Africa( being Portugal, the most Southern Country.. ).
                  For Portugal, I guess you meant most western... And not the most southern, as it is not (even considering Madeira).

Comment

Originally posted by msroadkill612 View Post

I may be a closet soul mate.

I loved the ~2014 Kaveri APU ... for what it could become as much as what it was, so much, i bought amd shares, at $5-7, which tanked to $2 & I almost forgot about ... just sold at 47$ cos of corona virus.

i digress - all those years I have window shopped but never pulled the trigger, & the whole time was see sawing between apu & a dgpu path. I am not a gamer & would love to pass on an ugly & annoying discrete gpu if i can settle for a little less & avoid it.

time - i want to use my pc - not decrypt incompatibile combinations - safety in numbers - the comfort of a billion people w/ exact same gpu/cpu/chipset - a well trodden path has fewer snakes.

Renoir doesnt leave a lot to desire for most consumers except keen gamers IMO.

If so, there are many benefits, not least is the budget is awash with funds from the forgone DGPU - x570, 32GB 3600 ram & pcie 4 nvme seem affordable luxuries now.

Such a Renoir would be a very sweet system folks will flock to IMO.
                    Which is funny because I'm wanting one due to the gaming perspective. The way I figure is I'll be able to hand off 6c/12t and my 580 to a Windows VM and leave 2c/4t and the iGPU in a low performance state for the host Linux OS since even the most crazy Linux desktop setup is just fine for an APU. I have been wanting for a system from AMD that is capable of doing that for so long it isn't funny. Seeing this laptop APU, to me, is seeing the first speck of light at the end of the tunnel.

Told myself back in the Kaveri days -- The second they release an 8c model it's gonna be on. I've been sitting here waiting patiently ever since; but them being so close that I'm seeing actual 8c/16t APU benchmark results from an actual, existing product is genuinely making me giddy.

Also, since it should be very similar to what'll be in the PS5 and XBox and will probably be used by a lot of OEMs, I'm hoping that will assist with adoption rate and bug fixes.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post

I read that Trump is trying to get TSMC to be a fab in america, he's willing to give them billions to build one. This would allow us defence contractors to build military chips using the latest nodes.
                      Why? TSMC Fab 11 is in Camas, Washington. It is mostly dedicated to wafers.

GloFlo Fab 9 in Essex, Vermont is working on its 7nm node setup (presumably for the POWER 10). GloFlo just sold part of it to Toppen and sent it to Round Rock, Texas and Europe.. This was a former IBM Fab. GloFlo has been breaking up the vertical integration that IBM Microelectronics had built and converting them to specialty fabs. This makes sense with the growing number of fabless CPU designers.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14740...sets-to-toppan

GloFlo Fab 10 is in East Fishkill, NY and uses a 14nm node, It also is a former IBM Fab. GloFlo just sold it to ON Semiconductor.

https://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolution...o?article=4318

Micron has a fab in Virginia that they got in the Toshiba DRAM deal. They also just bought out Intel's Optane fab in Levi, Utah.

https://www.extremetech.com/computin...int-optane-fab

So I am not sure why Trump wants to throw money at TSMC. The market is moving to disintegration to better support custom designs and 7nm is coming right behind it.

Comment

Working...
                      X