Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeBSD vs. Linux Scaling Up To 128 Threads With The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Phoronix New Charts - Easier to Print
    It would be nice if the lines used different dash-styles, as well as different colors.
    • It would better enable you see the lines, in cases where they overlap.
    • Also, it's more friendly to colorblind folks.
    • Lastly, even with good color acuity, I have a little trouble discerning between the greens of the two Linux distros, when only one is visible. Like in this case:
    Last edited by coder; 23 February 2020, 01:54 PM.

Comment

DragonFlyBSD (master branch) should boot fine on a 3990X, as I have one in my machine room running it.

-Matt

Comment

Originally posted by dillon View Post
        DragonFlyBSD (master branch) should boot fine on a 3990X, as I have one in my machine room running it.

-Matt
        Oh, hai. Thanks for DragonFly and all your other contributions, sir.

Comment

Seems that Dragonfly would be perfect for these massively multi core cpus :}

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
            Oh, hai. Thanks for DragonFly and all your other contributions, sir.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Dillon
            Thanks for the link. It's enlightening, it seems Intel CPU's have suffered from bugs for long before meltdown....

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
              smitty3268 problem for certain individuals is that FreeBSD did kind of good. Now they are looking for a 'scapegoat', reason which would believably allow them to claim results as nil "because.. scapegoat reason x, y & z"

They do know well enough why and how benchmarks are done.
              Yeah, I think it's hilarious.

"OMG our neo-modern god like ricer Lunix OS is almost as slow as 40 year old crusty Unix and they only have 2 developers! Whhhyyy??"

With this much multi-threading and other new hardware coming along I think a lot of OS's are going to have to go through a phase of redesign... as natural Linux will do it poorly first and FreeBSD will do it right. (Odd.. Just like SELinux & Capsicum)

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                It would be nice if the lines used different dash-styles, as well as different colors.
                • It would better enable you see the lines, in cases where they overlap.
                • Also, it's more friendly to colorblind folks.
                • Lastly, even with good color acuity, I have a little trouble discerning between the greens of the two Linux distros, when only one is visible. Like in this case:
                Patches always welcome (particularly on the color choosing front coming up with a reliable means has always been difficult to be universal): https://www.github.com/phoronix-test...ix-test-suite/
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Patches always welcome (particularly on the color choosing front coming up with a reliable means has always been difficult to be universal): https://www.github.com/phoronix-test...ix-test-suite/
                  If anyone does take up this effort, may I bring back my old suggestion to make them support mouseover of the key to highlight particular curves? For example, if you moused over "FreeBSD 12.1" in the legend/key, it would highlight the curve for that data in the graph portion. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                  X