Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    an API for applications
    Also information retrieval for humans. Either you did not get the point, or you just wanted to be funny. I certainly don't want or need an cpuz like "App" for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
      Also information retrieval for humans.
      that interface is mostly an API for applications, /proc/cpuinfo is partial.
      Complete user-readable info dumps happen by using stuff like lscpu or lspci or whatever, that are commandline applications.

Either you did not get the point, or you just wanted to be funny. I certainly don't want or need an cpuz like "App" for Linux.
      you are a distro maintainer that also curates an extensive collection of retro hardware that none else thinks about using.

Most people like having a GUI and not having to command-line around to get stuff, regardless of your opinion.

Comment

that interface is mostly an API for applications, /proc/cpuinfo is partial.
        Complete user-readable info dumps happen by using stuff like lscpu or lspci or whatever, that are commandline applications.

you are a distro maintainer that also curates an extensive collection of retro hardware that none else thinks about using.

Most people like having a GUI and not having to command-line around to get stuff, regardless of your opinion.
        I don't think many friends, family or admins necessarily agree with your assertion. Most people I know rather queries such textual OS interfaces than installing a dedicated CLI or GUI app for basics attributes like this. IMHO being required to (install) an dedicated App is a pretty Windows / Mac view of things.

Comment

I don't think many friends, family or admins necessarily agree with your assertion. Most people I know rather queries such textual OS interfaces than installing a dedicated CLI or GUI app for basics attributes like this. IMHO being required to (install) an dedicated App is a pretty Windows / Mac view of things.
          Then you don't know a lot of neophyte. Most people want things to work, they can easily remember the name of an app starting with cpu, the path in sysfs, forget it. Most people I know would rather not use a computer rather than have to remember some obscure command to type in a CLI (and always wonder why I mostly use the CLI when they see me on my computer).

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

Then you don't know a lot of neophyte. Most people want things to work, they can easily remember the name of an app starting with cpu, the path in sysfs, forget it. Most people I know would rather not use a computer rather than have to remember some obscure command to type in a CLI (and always wonder why I mostly use the CLI when they see me on my computer).
            cat /proc/cpuinfo; is not more obscure than discovering, remembering and installing an application named cpu-z – "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."

Comment

I don't think many friends, family or admins necessarily agree with your assertion.
              You need to get out more, the world is different and you (friends, family and admins you know) are a niche.

Not saying it is bad, but assuming most people prefer commandline is complete bs and you shouldn't do that.

Most people I know rather queries such textual OS interfaces than installing a dedicated CLI or GUI app for basics attributes like this.
              Admins don't usually care in the slightest about cpuinfo and very commonly need need the output of lspci -vv or lsusb because they are troubleshooting or installing an expansion card or USB device in a system.

Finding that kind of info by travelling inside the /sys folder is complete madness.

Comment

cat /proc/cpuinfo; is not more obscure
                But it is, simply because it's CLI, and CLI is scary to neophytes.

Comment

cat /proc/cpuinfo; is not more obscure than discovering, remembering and installing an application named cpu-z – "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."
                  cpu-z gives much more information than /proc/cpuinfo and it is also updated in real-time (i.e. you can see the CPU frequency and iGPU data change in real time).
                  It's hard to judge something you never use, maybe you should look at it first.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                    But it is, simply because it's CLI, and CLI is scary to neophytes.
                    It's not fear. It's lack of training. CLI is not intuitive in the slightest. You can give a smartphone to someone that never saw it and he would learn how to use it, with command line stuff.... eeeeeh.... not really. You need documentation and training to actually grasp what you are doing.

And I'm talking of modern systems that use man and have human-friendly editors like nano. Not if you have complete bs alien commandline tools like vi.

CLI is maintenance interface, meant to be used by trained personnel only (and power users).

Comment

cpu-z gives much more information than /proc/cpuinfo and it is also updated in real-time (i.e. you can see the CPU frequency and iGPU data change in real time).
                      It's hard to judge something you never use, maybe you should look at it first.
                      You can easily use watch to update it in real time at whatever interval you want. I have watch -n 5 lscpu running in one window at all times as a monitor for frequency.

Edit: Or if you prefer, sudo watch -n 2 cat /proc/cpuinfo

Comment

Working...
                      X