The Linux Kernel Disabling HPET For Intel Coffee Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yturmisil View Post

TSC is also unstable most of the time and linux kernel turns off it early during boot after checking its stability. So we're left with acpi fucking timer

You'd think that keeping track of time would be taken for granted in this day and age, huh? because even microcontrollers in 70's was doing a fantastic job at it?

nah. that'd be too easy for intel.
    I'm using it on all my machines without problems older hardware had some problems. You should never use HPET it's inefficient and slow because it's on the motherboard not in the CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by dispat0r View Post

I'm using it on all my machines without problems older hardware had some problems. You should never use HPET it's inefficient and slow because it's on the motherboard not in the CPU.
      Actually, you don't even have to worry about any of this, since the Linux kernel will pick TSC as the clocksource automatically if it determines that it is in fact stable.
      Only when this isn't the case will Linux resort to the other options such as HPET.

So manually specifying the clocksource shouldn't be done by any user, since you most certainly don't know better than Linux what is best for your particular system!

Comment

Working...
      X