Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Netflix Optimized FreeBSD's Network Stack More Than Doubled AMD EPYC Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Michael I wasn't expecting that YouTube video!!!!

​​​​​​Goodbye Google and your stupid cookie!

Comment

It would be even faster if they weren't wasting so many cycles on encryption.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
        I'm not trying to start a software licence war, but I assume all their code is closed source and these improvements wont make it back to FreeBSD?
        Secret source is an possibility on linux too, so what software license war are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
          I'm not trying to start a software licence war, but I assume all their code is closed source and these improvements wont make it back to FreeBSD?
          Wrong assumption. The code is already in FreeBSD 13.

Comment

The question should be: What can the Linux stack achieve?

Comment

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post
              The question should be: What can the Linux stack achieve?
              AFAIK Linux already have similar NUMA optimizations for some years now (might be wrong though).

Comment

"AMD's tools are lacking (even on Linux)."
                AMD's tools are lacking, even more so on Linux. FTFY.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  Oh Michael I wasn't expecting that YouTube video!!!!

​​​​​​Goodbye Google and your stupid cookie!
                  Install uMatrix. You can configure the "*" (default) policy to be whatever you currently do, but then disallow the cookies column and allow the "1st-party" row group.

(from lowest to highest precedence, it's "columns, row groups, rows, cells" within a sheet, and the sheets have precedence from * to .com to phoronix.com to www.phoronix.com)

Comment

Even if they were using Linux they wouldn't have to update anything. GPL only takes effect on distribution and if they aren't distributing, they can keep it closed. Google doesn't give all their enhancements to Linux away either.

Comment

Anyone understand why there are different performance numbers in the abstract than in the presentation? I can't really find any reference of those in the slides which tell a different story than the abstract below.

From the abstract:
                      "I will present data from real Netflix servers showing an improvement of almost 2x on AMD EPYC (85Gbs -> 165Gbs), and 1.3x on Intel Xeon (140Gb/s -> 180Gbs). "

Comment

Working...
                      X