Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Performance On AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

Phoronix: Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Performance On AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

For those wondering how the performance compares of AMD's new Zen 2 processors between Windows 10 and Linux, here are our initial benchmarks across dozens of benchmarks for the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X on Windows 10 Pro 1903 against Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

PyBench is missing in the accumulated results figure. Is it also missing from the geometric mean?

Impressive results for two-year-old Ubuntu on a brand-new processor.

Comment

have you considered testing the latest kernel and see if there are any more speed improvements.from what i heard the newest kernel brings some pretty good gains with ryzen especially the newer cpu's.

Comment

I emotionally can confirm the 3900X performance on 18.04

Comment

Originally posted by ypnos View Post
          PyBench is missing in the accumulated results figure. Is it also missing from the geometric mean?

Impressive results for two-year-old Ubuntu on a brand-new processor.
          Geometric mean includes all results where it successfully ran on all systems, so yes, pybench is part of the geo mean. That result overview just generates a high level overview / sub-set of the changed results.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by vipor29 View Post
            have you considered testing the latest kernel and see if there are any more speed improvements.from what i heard the newest kernel brings some pretty good gains with ryzen especially the newer cpu's.
            Have some tests currently running.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Whats the mitigation situation w/ windows? Linux still has the same defaults as with Zen(+), though there should be hardware mitigations in place, right?

Comment

Originally posted by thxcv View Post
                Whats the mitigation situation w/ windows? Linux still has the same defaults as with Zen(+), though there should be hardware mitigations in place, right?
                Should be the same, since most of them are based off the CPU/microcode. Though with Zen 2 it's currently more than Zen+ as even with hardware mitigations, they switched to always-on RSB filling while Intel is doing conditional filling. There will hopefully/likely be a new Ryzen BIOS update soon that changes that behavior and as a result may further help Zen 2 performance.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

If you used Windows 10 1903, why didn't you pit it against Ubuntu 19.04?
                  (I'll see myself out)

Comment

Interesting - seems the Windows scheduler has dramatically caught up. Still obviously has a lot more work to do. I wonder what's going on with Linux and ffmpeg.

Also, I'm a big fan of the 2nd to last comparison graph, though as a suggestion:
                    I'd like to see it sorted based on the percentage

Comment

Working...
                    X