Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Performance On AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    ... If the results vary, it's caused by kernel differences or compiler differences ...
    Which I would say is valid part of a comparison between two different systems, especially on a user site like this.

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by Michael View Post

      Because the Ubuntu 19.04 ISO doesn't boot on the system as ASUS has yet to release the patched BIOS.
      OK, now do Windows XP (and document the install process!)

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

        Which I would say is valid part of a comparison between two different systems, especially on a user site like this.
        Windows context switch faster than Linux one. This is not good considering Linux usually handles lots of tasks with ease.

        (Or maybe Microsoft C faster than GNU C?)

        Comment


        • #24
          Was the test done with the same CPU, or two different CPUs (but still the same model)? The Ryzen 3xxx CPUs seem to have a large individual variance.

          Comment


          • #25
            According to the Solus forums, you can start your benchmarking for that now. They hadn't moved beyond Systemd 239, so they never had the boot issues. Go go gadget 'curated rolling release'. :P

            The numbers here seem to be showing what Lisa Su was talking about at Computex. Microsoft actually got off their butts and did some patching to work better with Zen*. I do wonder what was involved in that deal. Apart from the disgusting display on stage where Windows was lauded as a cornerstone of the PC world and other such rot.

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by Dr. Righteous View Post
              So, unless I missed it; this is 18.04 LTS running the "stock" Kernel which should be 4.15 correct? Impressive indeed. I would like to see the results running the latest Linux kernel.
              18.04 used 4.15.x, but the current actual state of 18.04.2 uses 4.19.x with patches. Ubuntu devs update to more recent kernel long term release versions as they deem necessary.

              Comment


              • #27
                Some Dosbox testing would be nice, if not other games tests

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Interesting - seems the Windows scheduler has dramatically caught up. Still obviously has a lot more work to do. I wonder what's going on with Linux and ffmpeg.

                  Also, I'm a big fan of the 2nd to last comparison graph, though as a suggestion:
                  I'd like to see it sorted based on the percentage
                  Let's see what happens with Windows 1903 on Threadripper, specifically the 2990WX.

                  It will be interesting to see if MSFT has fixed the scheduler and their NUMA support to something more current.

                  I read that MSFT had been working on new NUMA support for some multi-package Intel CPU's coming out.

                  Being Microsoft, they probably decided to do all the NUMA changes at once.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by TomasC View Post
                    Was the test done with the same CPU, or two different CPUs (but still the same model)? The Ryzen 3xxx CPUs seem to have a large individual variance.
                    Same CPU, I don't have any Zen 2 duplicates of Ryzen parts.
                    Michael Larabel
                    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

                      Let's see what happens with Windows 1903 on Threadripper, specifically the 2990WX.

                      It will be interesting to see if MSFT has fixed the scheduler and their NUMA support to something more current.

                      I read that MSFT had been working on new NUMA support for some multi-package Intel CPU's coming out.

                      Being Microsoft, they probably decided to do all the NUMA changes at once.
                      The NUMA bug affecting Threadripper is still present in 1903.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X