Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spectre Mitigation Performance Impact Benchmarks On AMD Ryzen 3700X / 3900X Against Intel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark625 View Post
    Michael, in the intro page you list the two Threadrippers as "Ryzen 9 2950X" and "Ryzen 9 2990WX". Shouldn't those be just "Ryzen 2950X", or maybe "Ryzen Threadripper 2950X"? It took me a few seconds to figure out what you were talking about.

It would be nice if the charts listed them as "TR 2950X" etc, too.

Thanks.
    Indeed, my pedantic brain kicked in and started thinking there was some AMD press release renaming their workstation processors that I missed. Before I even read past the 2nd paragraph of the article I went to https://www.amd.com/en/products/spec...ons/processors to check I wasn't confused and the Threadripper name had been retired or that the "Ryzen 9" branding had been ret-conned.

Michael if you value accuracy I'd recommend going back and removing the "Ryzen 9" when actually referring to Threadripper parts.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post

The article clearly states intel has a 50% IPC lead over Zen 2 with their Celeron G4900?
      IPC stands for instructions per clock.
      And clock to clock single thread comparisons show over 10% Zen 2 advantage over flagship 9900k. Benchmarks are all over Internet, in ex Hardware Unboxed.
      Intel regains single thread performance in brute force - higher clocks on 14+++ process than with 7nm recently and in single process multi-thread in cross-core delay (lower on Intel due to its monolithic architecture).

Those are the facts but hey, you can argue all you want.
      Edit: you are on crack (seeing things like the mention of Celeron) therefore my post is irrelevant.
      Last edited by reavertm; 16 July 2019, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Cleaning up Michael's format fail;
        • Intel
          • l1tf: Mitigation of PTE Inversion
          • mds: Mitigation of Clear buffers; SMT vulnerable
          • meltdown: Mitigation of PTI
          • spec_store_bypass: Mitigation of SSB disabled via prctl and seccomp
          • spectre_v1: Mitigation of __user pointer sanitization
          • spectre_v2: Mitigation of Full generic retpoline IBPB: conditional IBRS_FW STIBP: conditional RSB filling.
        • AMD Zen/Zen+
          • l1tf: Not affected
          • mds: Not affected
          • meltdown: Not affected
          • spectre_v2: Mitigation of Full AMD retpoline IBPB: conditional STIBP: disabled RSB filling.
        • AMD Zen 2
          • l1tf: Not affected
          • mds: Not affected
          • meltdown: Not affected
          • spectre_v2: Mitigation of Full AMD retpoline IBPB: conditional STIBP: always-on RSB filling.
        It looks like there is a decline in Zen 2 security ... maybe they are just late with the patches.
        Last edited by elatllat; 08 August 2019, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X