Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Announces Ryzen 3000 Series Mobile Processors, 7th Gen A-Series For Chromebooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    Wait. Weren't Chromebooks supposed to have Coreboot? Then, please, let us have Coreboot support for all these chips!
    The A-series chips for the Chromebooks are based upon the old Excavator platform, which I think does not utilize the newer PSP found on Ryzen boards?
    If so, then that would explain why they have CoreBoot.

Another possibility, is that Google's CoreBoot-derived bootloader is whitelisted by the PSP, while the CoreBoot itself is not.

This is just speculation (except for the part about these chips being based upon the Excavator platform), I have not read up enough on the subject for there to be any actual weight behind this post.

Comment

Really hoping the H series shows up in one of the 15in Lenovo workstation laptops or perhaps a Dell precision... with good cooling, a nice keyboard a several drive bays (none of them had better be blocked by a battery option). At 4Ghz it should and double the cores it should nicely replace my current Dell Precision e5530 while also having a good and current gen graphics support, the new driver updates on mainline drivers is also a huge factor for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
        Just read on golem, they seem to have x264/5 and VP9 decode. I thought VP9 functionality was in the very recent chips only, so maybe the added something to the UVD/VCE/VCN/whatev. 6W TDP dual core, sounds fair. Now if it came with a decent keyboard (keys, layout) and IPS full HD panel and some offline storage* it would be a very tempting offer. Not the big compiler power for something like Gentoo, but hey, should be already much better than my dated E-350 notebook.

*(no, Google, I will a) not put my data into your cloud b) not have any data I need somewhere spread over the world while I do not have inet on the road)
        VP9 decode is everywhere Having that decode does not mean it is hardware decoding really, as GPU could do it too... with somewhat with in the middle efficiency

Stoney APUs already do that on Windows and with supported browser of course Problem is on what happens with something else than supported web browser and supported OS
        Last edited by dungeon; 06 January 2019, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Starting in Q1 2019, AMD plans to provide regular Radeon Software Adrenalin updates for all Ryzen Processors with Radeon Vega graphics via AMD.com, enabling frequent support for new games, new features, improved performance and more robust stability.
          Sound like a good news, these Ryzen laptops previosly got just one driver from vendor
          Last edited by dungeon; 06 January 2019, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Sound like a good news, these Ryzen laptops previosly got just one driver from vendor
            But that's irrelevant for Linux users, since it should be taken care of by upstream kernel and Mesa?

Comment

So I literally just got my Lenovo E585 w/ R7 PRO 2700u (it's great!) is there any architectural change here? I assume no but curious if I'm missing it. Looks to be just a clock speed bump.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

But that's irrelevant for Linux users, since it should be taken care of by upstream kernel and Mesa?
                Yeah, but i commented on that AMD's announcement i read which is irrelevant for Linux also

It just mentioning Windows and ChromeOS there

And i know how Windows people with Ryzen APU laptops were offended, because they got only one driver from laptop vendor and that is it - nothing from AMD site
                Last edited by dungeon; 06 January 2019, 11:33 PM.

Comment

In term of Linux related topic, AMD is still not providing information about their Integrated Sensor Fusion HUB needed for auto-rotation on touch-screen laptops. See the block diagram below

Considering that auto-rotation implementation exists for a while, what does prevent the availability of such driver for Linux kernel. At least provide a functional generic one.

Comment

The GPUs on these new CPUs are disappointing.....GCN 1.x ? Sure these aren't gaming laptops, but stuffing old GPUs, for which the Linux support is already bad, is a bad idea.

And do they support VP9 atleast, if not H 265? If not it's going to suck pretty badly compared to Intel Kabylake+ CPU/GPU which do support VP9 decoding.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                      The GPUs on these new CPUs are disappointing.....GCN 1.x ?
                      These all have current gen Vega GPUs:
                      And do they support VP9 atleast, if not H 265?

Models with U means standard mobile, while H means high performance mobile APU (these that eats more watts to be that high ).

More GPU CUs means GPU is better - 3, 6, 8, 10 options.

And do they support VP9 atleast, if not H 265?
                      These Ravens all have VP9 and H265 hardware decoding

While these for Chromebooks are older based ones, these have GCN 1.2 GPUs, have H265 hardware decoding, but does not have VP9 (now that could be GPU accelerated on ChromeOS (instead of using UVD/VCN), so it is not unaccelerated completely)

Shortly, just read info for Raven and Stoney as these are really just Raven+ and Stoney+

Last edited by dungeon; 07 January 2019, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X