Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Announces Ryzen 3000 Series Mobile Processors, 7th Gen A-Series For Chromebooks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Announces Ryzen 3000 Series Mobile Processors, 7th Gen A-Series For Chromebooks

Phoronix: AMD Announces Ryzen 3000 Series Mobile Processors, 7th Gen A-Series For Chromebooks

Ahead of the big AMD keynote on Tuesday, AMD kicked off CES week today by announcing the Ryzen 3000 Series Mobile Processors...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Series-Mobile

GPU clock frequencies up to 6MB
    I think that somehow combined comments about GPU clock and L2/L3 cache amount.

Comment

Wait. Weren't Chromebooks supposed to have Coreboot? Then, please, let us have Coreboot support for all these chips!
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Just read on golem, they seem to have x264/5 and VP9 decode. I thought VP9 functionality was in the very recent chips only, so maybe the added something to the UVD/VCE/VCN/whatev. 6W TDP dual core, sounds fair. Now if it came with a decent keyboard (keys, layout) and IPS full HD panel and some offline storage* it would be a very tempting offer. Not the big compiler power for something like Gentoo, but hey, should be already much better than my dated E-350 notebook.

*(no, Google, I will a) not put my data into your cloud b) not have any data I need somewhere spread over the world while I do not have inet on the road)
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
          Just read on golem, they seem to have x264/5 and VP9 decode. I thought VP9 functionality was in the very recent chips only, so maybe the added something to the UVD/VCE/VCN/whatev. 6W TDP dual core, sounds fair. Now if it came with a decent keyboard (keys, layout) and IPS full HD panel and some offline storage* it would be a very tempting offer. Not the big compiler power for something like Gentoo, but hey, should be already much better than my dated E-350 notebook.
          I doubt it will have much flash on board but there might be a microSD slot. Would that suffice?

Comment

I would really like one of these for a personal laptop upgrade (focused on development / content creation) however I haven't found a manufacturer offering mobile Ryzen with a 4k UHD display option in the current model lines. (I'd love to be wrong on this if anyone knows). I hope this changes for these new 3000 model lines!

Comment

While certainly good enough for basic school work, I wonder why they didn't get something like the Athlon 200GE (just with a lower TDP suitable for this niche) into the Chromebooks. Pricing? TDP?
              Last edited by ms178; 01-06-2019, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                I wonder why they didn't get something like the Athlon 200GE (just with a lower TDP suitable for this niche) into the Chromebooks. Pricing? TDP?
                Battery life.

Comment

The real question is "are those based on Zen 2 or Zen+?"

EDIT: Zen+. Sorta disappointing.
                  Last edited by andrebrait; 01-06-2019, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
                    The real question is "are those based on Zen 2 or Zen+?"

EDIT: Zen+. Sorta disappointing.
                    It's as i expected, AMD always lags one year with mobile.
                    Nothing has changed, business as usual.

Comment

Working...
                    X