No announcement yet.

The Ryzen 7 1800X Linux Performance Evolution Since The AMD Zen Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And since this discussion is now completely offtopic, let me add one more question - does windows datacenter edition show the same behaviour? I would imagine that scheduler findings that are popping up now with threadripper and epyc would be detectable years ago on intel quad and octa socket systems. Apparently no one runs windows on them? Or does that do don't care about performance?

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
      And since this discussion is now completely offtopic, let me add one more question - does windows datacenter edition show the same behaviour? I would imagine that scheduler findings that are popping up now with threadripper and epyc would be detectable years ago on intel quad and octa socket systems. Apparently no one runs windows on them? Or does that do don't care about performance?
      I'd have to guess that most people in those scenarios are running Linux with Windows in multiple VMs isolated to 4 to 8 cores. In that scenario you'd never even know about the scheduler issues.

Also, devil's advocate, but if the sys admin knew of the scheduler issues then they'd probably set Windows up with multiple VMs to circumvent them....a lot of those kinds of tasks scale and don't need GPU support so they're perfect for VM environments.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

(Edit: I know it's popular for free software enthusiasts to knock Microsoft. But for example one of my brothers is a Microsoft fanatic. And Windows Update just broke his Windows 10 install in December, and he had to do a clean reinstall.)
        Come on now Michael; don't tell us you didn't have a good chuckle because of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Righteous View Post

Come on now Michael; don't tell us you didn't have a good chuckle because of that.
          Oh, if anything we the free software community should be grateful that Microsoft's QA/QE processes are so awful. If Windows had been a more robust and reliable product over the past 20 years, its monopoly would probably stand unchallenged. One of the first things that drove me to Linux was watching an array of Linux servers with uptime measured in years in 2002 and 2003 when our Windows servers at the same company managed by the same team of sysadmins rarely ran for a week without a crash.

Comment

Oh, if anything we the free software community should be grateful that Microsoft's QA/QE processes are so awful. If Windows had been a more robust and reliable product over the past 20 years, its monopoly would probably stand unchallenged. One of the first things that drove me to Linux was watching an array of Linux servers with uptime measured in years in 2002 and 2003 when our Windows servers at the same company managed by the same team of sysadmins rarely ran for a week without a crash.
            Mine was "upgrading" 2000 by installing Windows XP. After using 2000 and NT before that, XP just looked like a child's toy (plus it was pretty ass until SP1 ironed a lot of the kinks out). I've been a Linux user ever since and haven't looked back. Every time I think I need to go back, luckily some project or patch comes out and covers my needs.

Wow, I'd like to play Oblivion...a week later...cool, someone awesome patched Wine and now I can play Oblivion.

I'd love to play the Wolfenstein games...sometime soon...DXVK!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
              In my experiences with Windows Server, the scheduler is different, for sure. Windows 10 might use a poor scheduler for better perceived performance, which also exists in linux. I have no experience with windows datacenter.

Comment

When doesn't Microsoft do things quick and dirty?

(Edit: I know it's popular for free software enthusiasts to knock Microsoft. But for example one of my brothers is a Microsoft fanatic. And Windows Update just broke his Windows 10 install in December, and he had to do a clean reinstall.)
                I did more than one clean install cause of 1809, you can actually trigger that update a few ways. I believe 1809 is their latest hallmark of windows wonders. 1803 works wonderful. I experienced so many wonky things with 1809 its not even funny.

I believe 1809 has been pulled twice now. People will slowly be receiving the 1809 update according to their specific system build compatiblity. It's rolling out very slowly, only about 3% of windows 10 users are receiving the update due to their systems actually being compatible with it.

The 1900 series updates are supposed to mitigate most of the meltdown and spectre performance hits by a notable percentage by some sort of workaround.

I'm platform agnostic btw.

I have had my fare share of Linux woes but Microsoft can really take the cake. I mean I like win10, when it works. I have not had a package manager mangle my system install beyond repair with any Linux distro for hmmm... that's funny I can't remember. It must have always been me who borked it.
                Last edited by creative; 05 January 2019, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post

I did more than one clean install cause of 1809, you can actually trigger that update a few ways. I believe 1809 is their latest hallmark of windows wonders. 1803 works wonderful. I experienced so many wonky things with 1809 its not even funny.

I believe 1809 has been pulled twice now. People will slowly be receiving the 1809 update according to their specific system build compatiblity. It's rolling out very slowly, only about 3% of windows 10 users are receiving the update due to their systems actually being compatible with it.

The 1900 series updates are supposed to mitigate most of the meltdown and spectre performance hits by a notable percentage by some sort of workaround.

I'm platform agnostic btw.

I have had my fare share of Linux woes but Microsoft can really take the cake. I mean I like win10, when it works. I have not had a package manager mangle my system install beyond repair with any Linux distro for hmmm... that's funny I can't remember. It must have always been me who borked it.
                  I've had plenty of headaches as a Linux desktop user. But I am far more sympathetic to a loosely connected global group of volunteers when they make a mistake compared to a company that makes tens of billions of dollars in annual profit.

More importantly, I prioritize freedom and privacy and of course free-as-in-freedom software beats anything proprietary there, even high quality proprietary options. But I didn't care about freedom and privacy when I first tried Linux, I was just sick of the Windows woes of the 1990s and 2000s.

(Edit: to be clear, my experience as a Linux user when I've stayed close to the default configuration have been good to great for ten years now. Install Ubuntu or Fedora, use default desktop and Wine and so forth, all is well. Things go south when I'm swapping the main desktop environment for another one like putting Xfce on an Ubuntu install instead of installing Xubuntu directly, or adding a PPA for some driver package or something.)
                  Last edited by Michael_S; 05 January 2019, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Michael_S I totally agree with you.

Comment

Working...
                    X