Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 4.20 To Receive Fix That Prevented Some AMD Raven Ridge Systems From Booting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife's Acer Swift 3 with 2700U was a nightmare to begin with due to very frequent freezes but that went away with the idle=nomwait workaround. I'm not sure if she's still seeing the odd freeze on boot, which is hopefully the issue being fixed here. Other than that, OpenSUSE works well although we're using a newer kernel and some other repo for the graphics stack.

Comment

Hi LazarusIV,

Can you access to the firmware menu on boot from your HP Envy x360 laptop?

Comment

Originally posted by LazarusIV View Post
        As a side note, anyone using the HP Envy x360 with the Ryzen 2500U? I'm trying to figure out a way to apply a firmware update and I really don't want to have to install Win10 just to update the firmware...

Also, what distros are people using with this laptop? I've been quite happy with mine.
        You can access the Firmware update via Hardware Diagnostics (Esc > System Diagnostics (F2) > Firmware Management) at startup. You just need to figure out a way to extract the BIOS image from the .exe file from HP.
        Last edited by thxcv; 28 November 2018, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thxcv View Post

You can access the Firmware update via Hardware Diagnostics (Esc > System Diagnostics (F2) > Firmware Management) at startup. You just need to figure out a way to extract the BIOS image from the .exe file from HP.
          Ah yes, I think I read something about that... So maybe I'll just have to set aside some time to tinker with it some more! Time.... precious commodity!

Comment

Originally posted by LazarusIV View Post

Ah yes, I think I read something about that... So maybe I'll just have to set aside some time to tinker with it some more! Time.... precious commodity!
            Can you follow up if you find a solution for extracting the firmware?

Comment

I've got a Lenovo Ideapad 720s 13" with Raven Ridge and it works well under Arch Linux. Installation was a pain due to Realtek wireless, but a package from the AUR can fix that. The display works well. I was running into crashes while gaming, but it turns out that they were temperature related and since I've set a limit of 65 Celsius, I've had no crashes.

Comment

Originally posted by thxcv View Post

On the HP Envy x360 this option is somehow not available :-(

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

Rut Roh Shaggy... I was afraid of this... I keep hoping HP will offer help with fwupd and LVFS but they only have 3 or 4 supported devices.

Originally posted by thxcv
                  I haven't had a chance to try this out yet, at the very least I've got time off during the Christmas holiday. I just got a Crucial P1 NVMe SSD for my Xubuntu installation so I'll be doing that soon too!

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                    Windows doesn't enable interrupt remapping so the OEM probably never validated their IVRS tables.
                    Could AMD provide a test suite to OEMs which tries to validate the ACPI CRAT/IVRS/etc. tables? Or is any validation that OEMs do completely independent from AMD specifications?

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

Well, it is available on mine (HP ENVY 13-ag0000 x360). Can you access the UEFI Hardware Diagnostics at all or is only the Firmware Management not available? Maybe it depends on some Recovery partition that you erased or it really is model specific?
                      Also i really do not know how to get the BIOS image other than starting the installer on a windows PC and selection extract image...

Comment

Working...
                      X