No announcement yet.

AMD Athlon 200GE: Benchmarking The $60 Zen+Vega Chip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overall, the temperature is very reasonable and could potentially be paired with some high-end passive heatsinks even with this CPU having just a 35 Watt TDP.
    It does not need to be high end at all , this 13 dollar alpine should be enough even for Ryzens in 45W mode, OK not really recommended for 45W but for 35W GE models is perfect:

The ARCTIC Alpine AM4 Passive is a passive and thus completely silent cooling solution for AMD AM4 CPU.
    Last edited by dungeon; 05 October 2018, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Amd even today have bad management. There is a certain way for AMD to beat Intel and Nvidia. If someone from AMD wants to learn, just ask.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
        Amd even today have bad management. There is a certain way for AMD to beat Intel and Nvidia. If someone from AMD wants to learn, just ask.
        Then why are you here? Shouldn't you be at the HQ filling them in on your discovery?

Comment

It's a cute little chip but where are the 2400ge and 2200ge? Same power consumption but much more performance.

I'm still glad that my 2400g has been behaving itself, I'd still like to see Michael be able to run both of his chips.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

It does not need to be high end at all , this 13 dollar alpine should be enough even for Ryzens in 45W mode, OK not really recommended for 45W but for 35W GE models is perfect:

https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/alpine-am4-passive.html
            Thanks for posting this. I use an AMD APU A12 9800 (65W TDP) at home and I am thinking about switching to a fanless solution with a 35W-TDP-Ryzen. Still need to figure out, if that passive cooler would fit into my mini-ITX case... (Edit: Too bad, the cooler is too high.)
            Last edited by sverris; 05 October 2018, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Please test the idle power consumption under windows 10 as 30w seems high, hoping it is due to poor linux power management drivers that can be fixed with newer kernels.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
                Please test the idle power consumption under windows 10 as 30w seems high, hoping it is due to poor linux power management drivers that can be fixed with newer kernels.
                It isn't high, here from techspot on Windows shows 25W (same idle as 2400G or 2200G on same mobo). 30ish Watts idle is in range of normal, depends on mobo, PSU used, etc...

Last edited by dungeon; 05 October 2018, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

This has normal size as Ryzens, goes to same big AM4 mobos... so it is expected . AM1 APUs were smaller, Ryzens embedded and mobile APUs are smaller, so these will idle at less... also for idle it also depends on PSU, average ATX PSUs knows to eat more power at idle from the wall than pico-PSUs or laptop bricks, etc...
                  Yes, you need to select the components carefully... But if you do, I'm not aware about any Ryzen chip that is near my 10W Intel system and this is a normal desktop setup with some selected components of cause, nothing special like a picu-PSU or laptop-bricks. I as much as I prefer AMD, the idle power should be somewhere more reasonable, if it would be 20 Watt this could have been a different story, but 30 is quite high.
                  Last edited by R41N3R; 06 October 2018, 05:02 AM.

Comment

I have the benefit of choosing any of these new CPUs since they're all better than my FX4100 =p

Comment

I pulled the trigger on this, got the same mobo Michael used, seems good. Unfortunately I realised the RAM I had spare is DDR3, so had to spend a bit more on some RAM, but I don't need much so I got a 4gb stick (still twice as much as my current setup which already serves me well). I also got a cheap SATA M.2 SSD for the OS, I didn't see any cheap/low capacity NVME drives which is a bummer.

All in all a big upgrade for less than £200. Plus the peace of mind that I'm not running something that I consider critical on 10 year old hardware.

Comment

Working...
                      X