AMD Athlon 200GE: Benchmarking The $60 Zen+Vega Chip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coder111 View Post
    Michael, your 3D benchmarks for 2400g seem to be missing from the graphs? It would be interesting to see if integrated GPU makes much difference under Linux between 2200g and 2400g.
    As written in this article and also covered in separate article recently, my 2400G box is back to being flakey on Linux when it comes to graphics stability.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Interesting review... but 30 Watt at idle? Isn't this way too high? Upgrading from AM1 (~15 Watt) is not that interesting for systems that run 24h and don't need that much performance. I really hope that AMD will provide something that consumes less power in idle, I still have a server with an Intel i5 4570 at it runs at 10W with an according mainboard.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        In some workloads this $60 Zen+Vega chip is performing around the speed of the Core i5 2500K SandyBridge and Core i5 3470 IvyBridge processors.
        Actually same as Pentium G4400.

Comment

Good performance considering the whole system maxed out at 60 watts. On the other hand I really wish that idle power was lower.

This is makes me wonder how much tweaking can be done to moderate system power at idle. As many have alluded too this could be a great chip for always on home servers. Especially a media server. 30 some odd watts at idle is still a bit much.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
            Good performance considering the whole system maxed out at 60 watts. On the other hand I really wish that idle power was lower.

This is makes me wonder how much tweaking can be done to moderate system power at idle. As many have alluded too this could be a great chip for always on home servers. Especially a media server. 30 some odd watts at idle is still a bit much.
            Traditionally, CPUs are given a lot more voltage than they really need. I'm sure you could drop the voltage by at least 0.1v and it will still remain perfectly stable (assuming you don't overclock).

Comment

I would be very interested to see how this compares to some of the really low TDP intel chips, like Goldmont Plus. I just picked up a motherboard with embedded J4105 (10W TDP) for under $80. This is definitely competitive on price, but I wonder if the extra power use provides much more performance.

Comment

Originally posted by zman0900 View Post
                I would be very interested to see how this compares to some of the really low TDP intel chips, like Goldmont Plus. I just picked up a motherboard with embedded J4105 (10W TDP) for under $80. This is definitely competitive on price, but I wonder if the extra power use provides much more performance.
                2.6 times slower multithread, 2.3 times slower singlethread and about 4 times slower graphics...

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php...+200GE&id=3325
                https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php....50GHz&id=3159

Altough margin for error is medium to high, so you might take this still as grain of salt
                Last edited by dungeon; 05 October 2018, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
                  Interesting review... but 30 Watt at idle? Isn't this way too high? Upgrading from AM1 (~15 Watt) is not that interesting for systems that run 24h and don't need that much performance. I really hope that AMD will provide something that consumes less power in idle, I still have a server with an Intel i5 4570 at it runs at 10W with an according mainboard.
                  This has normal size as Ryzens, goes to same big AM4 mobos... so it is expected . AM1 APUs were smaller, Ryzens embedded and mobile APUs are smaller, so these will idle at less... also for idle it also depends on PSU, average ATX PSUs knows to eat more power at idle from the wall than pico-PSUs or laptop bricks, etc...

Comment

PSUs have their best efficiency at about 50% of their rated power and much worse at 3%-10% at which most systems idle. Do not buy crap supplies if you need high efficiency.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                      Impressive performance for the price and TDP.
                      ^ A serious understatement! To be trading blows with i5 for CPU, and i7 for GPU, while fitting into 35w TDP is amazing. And $60 price, I've paid more than that for a nice aftermarket CPU cooler.

Comment

Working...
                      X