Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Global Switch To Kill Linux's CPU Spectre/Meltdown Workarounds?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Global Switch To Kill Linux's CPU Spectre/Meltdown Workarounds?

Phoronix: A Global Switch To Kill Linux's CPU Spectre/Meltdown Workarounds?

Something I have seen asked in our forums and elsewhere -- most recently on the kernel mailing list -- is whether there is a single kernel option that can be used for disabling all of the Spectre/Meltdown workarounds and any other performance-hurting CPU vulnerability workarounds...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...p-Spectre-Melt

Soon new CPUs are coming that is expected to have in-silicon mitigations for the Meltdown and Spectre hardware vulnerabilities.
    Such as the upcoming Intel "Ice Lake" CPU.
    Maybe also upcoming Ryzen.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: A Global Switch To Kill Linux's CPU Spectre/Meltdown Workarounds?

Something I have seen asked in our forums and elsewhere -- most recently on the kernel mailing list -- is whether there is a single kernel option that can be used for disabling all of the Spectre/Meltdown workarounds and any other performance-hurting CPU vulnerability workarounds...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...p-Spectre-Melt
      thanks for this, was looking for it recently

Comment

for first two I would use nopti nospectre_v2 as they are simply shorter, but as for l1tf=off & no_stf_barrier it is first time I even hear about them...

Comment

Thanks for this post. Please do not forget the games benchmarking, I know for at least some of us, gaming is a huge thing.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
            Thanks for this post. Please do not forget the games benchmarking, I know for at least some of us, gaming is a huge thing.
            The gaming impact is quite small especially compared to I/O and other workloads, but the desktop CPU tests will probably include them.
            Michael Larabel
            http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
              In games the CPU is rarely a performance issue, especially Vulkan games, all that matters is that you have a good GPU, lots GPU memory, lots of RAM memory and at least 2 or 4 cores on the CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

In games the CPU is rarely a performance issue, especially Vulkan games, all that matters is that you have a good GPU, lots GPU memory, lots of RAM memory and at least 2 or 4 cores on the CPU.
                Actually, most games are limited by the CPU, and usually because the game does not take advantage of as many threads as it could.

Comment

How come `noretpoline` didn't make the list? Is it implicitly included in one of the other ones?

Comment

"pti=off spectre_v2=off l1tf=off nospec_store_bypass_disable no_stf_barrier"

Does it disable ALL the mitigations or some of them cannot be simply disabled?
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X