Ryzen 3 2200G + Ryzen 5 2400G Linux Benchmarks Coming Tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brutalix View Post

Yup the support is real, all asrock am4 boards support ECC, Gigabyte the K7, Asus Prime pro.

Kind regards
    B.
    AFAIK AMD will not perform any quality assurance nor support for ECC, since these does not target server/workstation market... so yeah it is quite close to real

Supports ECC No

Comment

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/ryzen_5/2400g i

Is updated now appearantly, it says ECC yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Brutalix View Post
        https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/ryzen_5/2400g i

Is updated now appearantly, it says ECC yes.
        Things changing every second it seems
        Last edited by dungeon; 12 February 2018, 01:58 PM.

Comment

I would call it "consumer grade ECC". But even when you're a company you are lucky to be able to have this "consumer grade ECC" in all your office computers as well for just 99 bucks and getting twice the performance Intel offered you just a year ago without ECC support and probably one third of the IGP performance

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            Is that support real?
            Some asrock board was tested by hardwarecanucks by overclocking the RAM until they started seeing ECC errors in the log, so yeah it works with a Ryzen processor, at least on Linux. http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...deep-dive.html

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the FitPC guy in these forums confirmed (what I saw around already) that with DDR4 there is no physical difference in the board design to support ECC or not, that it is only software, so it is easier for an OEM to just have it, as they are just enabling features at no cost.
            Last edited by starshipeleven; 12 February 2018, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
              I would call it "consumer grade ECC". But even when you're a company you are lucky to be able to have this "consumer grade ECC" in all your office computers as well for just 99 bucks and getting twice the performance Intel offered you just a year ago without ECC support and probably one third of the IGP performance
              I'll also point out that "company-grade ECC" is also a very black box thing that is a total bitch to test if it is really happening and online.

Apart from some brands like Supermicro where the boards that support ECC just refuse to boot if they can't run the modules as ECC, you'd be VERY lucky to get some setting in UEFI saying "ECC Auto" or "ECC disabled" (WTF MAN what is "Auto"?!).

I personally think that "consumer" boards with ECC support are better, as there you can test if ECC works easily, just OC ram until you start getting errors in the logs, and you have your answer.

And with all the crap that they are adding on consumer motherboards for the sake of making them more gaming-y (beefy power management components, oversized traces to survive OC, stronger boards to support heavier stuff and coolers) even a midrange consumer board is a pretty damn tanky build that can compete with server boards.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                I don't think miners would buy these... but i think HTPC user would like that $99 Ryzen 3 2200G, just put it in 45W mode in combo with cheapest available memory and be done with it
                Actually there will be GE marked ones with 35 Watts TDP, now only question is when that will be and what is the price

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12428...th-reduced-tdp
                Last edited by dungeon; 12 February 2018, 04:56 PM.

Comment

I want to point out that gigabyte started off as advertising ECC support for _some_ of their motherboards, but with a firmware update, had it disabled. I ran across a thread about this a month or two ago about a gigabyte customer complaining about getting one such motherboard for that very reason (ECC support) but updated firmware with a surprise non-functional ECC. So any ECC functionality left is with some asus motherboards and (as far as I know) all AsRock motherboards. I did update my desktop firmware and have it confirmed with continual functional ECC RAM.

I have ECC RAM in both my ryzen based server, and desktop with the same processor (ryzen 7 1700x). Yes it is functioning correctly with both my AsRock X370 Taichi for my server (10 SATA ports are nice, removed the wireless module), and the Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 for my desktop. Using crucial ECC 2666mhz 8gig sticks. I would be willing to drop one of these two ryzen APU's in my desktop and see if ECC is reported as functioning, but I don't really want to spend the money on one... heh. It is the same CCX though, so it should work just fine. Would be nice to have this confirmed though.

Having said that, this is a stupid cheap and amazing option for ECC RAM for both the video memory and processor RAM... Like... holy snot.

Comment

Originally posted by tiwake View Post
                    I want to point out that gigabyte started off as advertising ECC support for _some_ of their motherboards, but with a firmware update, had it disabled.
                    Gigabyte is well-known for making new revisions of boards with less features without advertising it (and even if they do it's pretty much impossible to know what you are buying as sellers don't know hardware revision numbers).

So yeah, I'm shocked, shocked to hear this.

Comment

Working...
                    X