Ryzen 3 2200G + Ryzen 5 2400G Linux Benchmarks Coming Tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Anyone has any info about ECC support on these APUs?

Theoretically Zen supports ECC, but these are APUs.
    Usually AMD is an abbreviation for the German term "Alles Mit Drauf". Everything on board / all included. So I wouldn't be surprised if they do support ECC, maybe they're not using the big horns to announce it, since that might pressure board partners to offer official ECC support in their mainboards or people might thinkt it would diminish big server sales. *shrugs* There is a bunch of rumors that RavenRidge does support it.

Well, maybe Michael can check this out the next days.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Oh, people were fast with posting while I was typing. (Or I am slow.)
      Maybe Michael could obtain a single ECC unbuffered bar somehow? Just to test if things run?
      Register-Memory is more expensive and actually does requite additional lanes and stuff, as far as I understood it would also stress memory controllers too much otherwise. So the board must support it, but those are are (or server) and thus expensive. But for John Doe just some normal ECC with an average board might already be a considerable option.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post

You mean those who set up 16 GPUs per system? Probably not.

Those who mine with their single card between games? Maybe, but I think they are called gamers.
        What I was thinking is that there may be those, depending on the crypto-mining performance of the dGPU, that decide to buy a bunch of cheap APU/MB/RAM combos and put together small mining farms, the way professional rendering house have rendering farms comprised of numerous system clustered together.

Comment

I don't think miners would buy these... but i think HTPC user would like that $99 Ryzen 3 2200G, just put it in 45W mode in combo with cheapest available memory and be done with it

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            I don't have any DDR4 ECC Unbuffered, all my DDR4 ECC is registered.
            You have AM4 boards that actually support ECC ram? (i.e. is the ECC unbuffered ram the only thing you need?)

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              You have AM4 boards that actually support ECC ram? (i.e. is the ECC unbuffered ram the only thing you need?)
              I think I have one or two AM4 boards that support ECC.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                Maybe Michael could obtain a single ECC unbuffered bar somehow? Just to test if things run?
                Someone could graciously donate it, yeah.

Register-Memory is more expensive and actually does requite additional lanes and stuff, as far as I understood it would also stress memory controllers too much otherwise.
                Registered memory is physically different. It contains a repeater that buffers the signals to the actual RAM chips so you can run far more RAM than would be possible.

The system's memory controller must support communication with this buffer device at all to support registered RAM, and this is done only in server-grade CPU/SoCs. Or Intel high end enthusiast line (that is still priced accordingly)

Comment

Is that support real? I have Asus AM1M-A (very early one) in its box it claim ECC support, but that was only putted by mistake - later on they changed boxes and claim that it is non-ECC

Jaguar architecture supports ECC as it is, but that was divided like desktop/mobile nope and server/embedded yep.

Does anybody from AMD claim official support is the right question? Their answer is usually "we don't validate ECC nor our customers for consumer market, thus (even if it somehow works) it is not officially supported"
                  Last edited by dungeon; 12 February 2018, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    Is that support real? I have Asus AM1M-A (very early one) in its box it claim ECC support, but that was only putted by mistake - later on they changed boxes and claim that it is non-ECC

Yup the support is real, all asrock am4 boards support ECC, Gigabyte the K7, Asus Prime pro.

Kind regards
                    B.

Comment

Yes. But keep in mind that ECC support for consumer chips isn‘t officially evaluated although it should be the same silicon.
                      So I think that means it won‘t get the highest priority when it breaks. You can also expect that it just runs and it‘s displayed that it works. When you‘re lucky you might get some additional features supported with your board.

Comment

Working...
                      X