Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSI B350 TOMAHAWK: A Capable AMD Ryzen Motherboard For $110

Phoronix: MSI B350 TOMAHAWK: A Capable AMD Ryzen Motherboard For $110

The motherboard I've been testing the past week paired with the Ryzen 7 1700 is the MSI B350 TOMAHAWAK, a board in short supply that will set you back only $110 USD.

I am very interested in buying a Ryzen CPU, most likely the R5 1600x, but I am very annoyed about the decisions they made with their chipsets regarding SATA ports. Do they really think that just because M.2 exists nobody needs SATA anymore? Do I really have to buy an X370 board just to get 6 SATA ports? So far I have not found a single B350 with more than 4 ports and that just isn't enough for me.

Comment

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      is the MSI B350 TOMAHAWAK,
      Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      With Ubuntu 16.10 and 17.04, the B350 TOMAHAWAK has been working out fine.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
        I am very interested in buying a Ryzen CPU, most likely the R5 1600x, but I am very annoyed about the decisions they made with their chipsets regarding SATA ports. Do they really think that just because M.2 exists nobody needs SATA anymore? Do I really have to buy an X370 board just to get 6 SATA ports? So far I have not found a single B350 with more than 4 ports and that just isn't enough for me.
        So get yourself one of those PCIe->SATA cards. One with 4 ports shouldn't be too expensive and you can move it to new board, if you decide to change it. You pay once and more or less forever be free of having to worry about SATA ports on anything you happen to like...

Comment

For me, ECC support would be nice. AFAIK ATM there is one board where users confirmed ECC support and that one is X370 based.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
            For me, ECC support would be nice. AFAIK ATM there is one board where users confirmed ECC support and that one is X370 based.
            I'm also interested in this, could you share the source?

Comment

So get yourself one of those PCIe->SATA cards. One with 4 ports shouldn't be too expensive and you can move it to new board, if you decide to change it. You pay once and more or less forever be free of having to worry about SATA ports on anything you happen to like...
              I think you missed the point. If I have to pay for an extra card, I could just buy the X370 instead. The point is that, after years of putting more and more SATA ports on mainboards, suddenly someone at AMD thinks that SATA isn't necessary anymore, and even more confusing, the mainboard manufacturers seem to roll with that.

Comment

I think you missed the point. If I have to pay for an extra card, I could just buy the X370 instead. The point is that, after years of putting more and more SATA ports on mainboards, suddenly someone at AMD thinks that SATA isn't necessary anymore, and even more confusing, the mainboard manufacturers seem to roll with that.
                Point is, they make you pay for extra goodies. So why not pay for them just once and then transfer them from board to board ?
                You usually have at least one PCIe to spare, so why not ?

This way, you can have baseline MoBos and spare extra $$$ there, usually more than once.

Comment

I saw some link on reddit demonstrating it along with Ryzen.

Comment

I saw some link on reddit demonstrating it along with Ryzen.
                    I think this is it:

"Great news! A german forum member successfully tested ECC memory in ASUS Prime X370-Pro. It's fully functional! He overclocked the memory to produce errors and they were successfully detected":

Comment

Working...
                    X