No announcement yet.

MSI B350 TOMAHAWK: A Capable AMD Ryzen Motherboard For $110

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got my Tomahawk and Ryzen 1700 yesterday. No post, I think the CPU came DOA. Very disappointed, Newegg is going to take me a week to get a replacement =/

Comment

Originally posted by Xicronic View Post
      I got my Tomahawk and Ryzen 1700 yesterday. No post, I think the CPU came DOA. Very disappointed, Newegg is going to take me a week to get a replacement =/
      It's quite rare for a CPU to be DOA. It's more than likely the motherboard.

Comment

According to the specs and memory support list, the Gigabyte X370 Gaming K7 should support ECC http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/...g-K7-rev-10#sp
        I have one on order, but I only have non-ECC memory, so I can´t test if it really works.

Comment

Nice board. I myself am still waiting for the MSI B350 Motar, the only AM4 uATX board with optical spdif output so far. No retailer has it in stock atm, an noone knows when they'll get it either.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
            I can't speak to his specific situation, but installer error is by far the largest source of consumer hardware problems. You wouldn't believe how many people attempt to build their own PC, not realizing the CPU is keyed and fits only one way into the socket, or not realizing you have to peel the protective plastic off the underside of the heatsink before installing it. Of course once the mistake has been made, the damage has been done, and correcting the installation error does not result in a working system. That said, I agree that a CPU which is genuinely DOA is extremely rare.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
              Nice board. I myself am still waiting for the MSI B350 Motar, the only AM4 uATX board with optical spdif output so far. No retailer has it in stock atm, an noone knows when they'll get it either.
              I'm waiting for APU come out. By then AM4 portfolio should be much wider, all problems, especially with memory should be sorted out, and probably in the silicon, too.
              It seems ideal for all our workstation, especially if I can get hold of board with triple Displayport outputs. It it can drive 3 monitors, announced high-end APU with HBM2 might be just what doctor have ordered, at least for me. 4 Zen cores are plenty for usual stuff, and dual-channel DDR4 seems plenty if picture gets generated from HBM...

Before that, I might go for one 1700+ B350 board with ECC support for small local server and perhaps one or two 1700x + B350 boards for CPU muscle that I could use for especially CPU/GPU intensive stuff ( compile farm, render farm etc).

Comment

This board uses the (imo bad) RT8894A right? Most of the budget boards use the ISL95712 which is the preferable choice imo. Considering that, layout aside, this is the most crucial part of mainboards together with the fets and soldering quality, I would never recommend that board over others. MSI has only an average RMA quote in the shops that publish them, so that is no great point for them either.
                Last edited by Namenlos; 12 March 2017, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Interesting results. I ordered that board a few days ago and should get it next week. I would like to know how that board compares in overclocking vs the MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post

Motherboard lights up, and it has a debug LED strip that correctly detects if RAM / GPU is not inserted. It flashes the CPU light every time I power it up. I don't have a different AM4 board or CPU to test with though, so I can't really be certain.

Comment

I'm a bit surprised to see how much better the 350 performed in some tests. Some of those differences seemed pretty significant for just swapping a chipset. As of right now, I'm not aware of anybody else who has benchmarked 2 motherboards against each other.

As for number of SATA ports, I don't see the problem. 4x is sufficient for most people, even if you're doing a simple RAID setup. If you're doing a complex RAID setup, you want a discrete controller for that anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X