ASUS E3 PRO GAMING V5: A $140 Skylake Xeon Motherboard With Intel C232 Chipset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trifud View Post

I am irritated over the "gaming" branding in general. Some manufacturers, like MSI for example, label everything they produce "Gaming". I am not a gamer and I don't like fancy gamer hardware but I never the less need good hardware. And this is also the case for Xeon motherboards even if Xeon is not intended for gaming.

This are intended for gaming actually. Xeon cpu without integrated graphics with dedicated card becomes a viable side option for recent years. For this, Intel stop supporting Xeon in consumer chipset. So MB companies are making gaming board with server chip now(like this).

Comment

Michael: Why not a Gigabyte GA-X150-Pro ECC?
      http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=5802#sp

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
        I haven't had too much luck with Gigabyte boards, I had a SKL one recently fail on me.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          I haven't had too much luck with Gigabyte boards, I had a SKL one recently fail on me.
          I understand.
          But what is a "SKL" one?

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
            Gigabyte is crap in general, and they are fan of revisioning boards without changing the fucking board name, unless the seller is VERY good and lists also the board rev (most don't) you usually get rev 4.3.1 where they pulled away half the features you needed without writing it anywhere. I've seen less power circuitry, removed IOMMU/VT-d, or other inane stupidity, even on relatively expensive boards.

Supermicro is good but lately is a bit letting me down on details, Asrock rack is primed to compete with it imho (although it does not have hardware running for the longish times Supermicro can boast about, due to the fact that it is a young company).
            Last edited by starshipeleven; 03 May 2016, 05:17 PM.

Comment

There are some boards that are compatible with > 2133MHz RAM. I wonder how on Linux 2133MHz RAM compares to > 3000 MHz one - databases, redis, iGPU and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by riklaunim View Post
                There are some boards that are compatible with > 2133MHz RAM. I wonder how on Linux 2133MHz RAM compares to > 3000 MHz one - databases, redis, iGPU and so on.
                I don't know about the iGPU but I do know for things like Redis RAM speed is a little bit nice but what you REALLY want is lots and lots of CPU cache. Hitting RAM feels almost like going to disk.

Comment

Almost seems silly to invest in a new mobo/cpu today, with AMD Zen just around the corner. Intel is taking advantage of the moment, and charging sky high sky lake prices. In less than a year when Zen hits shelves, intel will be forced to bring their pricing back down to Earth. Not to mention that DDR4 is only running at 2133 and a scant few DDR4 2400 Xeon's, where Zen is going be DDR4 3200 at launch. I would feel foolish spending big bucks on a 2133 based system and in 9 months, 3200 will be the standard. If you absolutely need a new system today, then you need one today, but personally I'm waiting for Zen. Even if you're an intel fan, Zen as real market competition will save you $$$.
                  Last edited by torsionbar28; 05 May 2016, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Techwolf View Post
                    How much you want to bet that half of that feature list does NOT work in Linux?
                    What features are you talking about? Planning to buy this motherboard to work under linux-based system, so surprised reading about possible problems.

Comment

It's written at Asus's site that this motherboard works nice with 3000MHz modules. So, does it mean they work as 2133MHz or they work "normally" at 3000 being inserted this motherborad?

Comment

Working...
                      X