No announcement yet.

ASUS E3 PRO GAMING V5: A $140 Skylake Xeon Motherboard With Intel C232 Chipset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS E3 PRO GAMING V5: A $140 Skylake Xeon Motherboard With Intel C232 Chipset

Phoronix: ASUS E3 PRO GAMING V5: A $140 Skylake Xeon Motherboard With Intel C232 Chipset

If you are looking for a low-cost LGA-1151 motherboard for an Intel Xeon E3 v5 CPU, the ASUS E3 PRO GAMING V5 is a sub-$150 ATX motherboard using Intel's C232 chipset while supporting USB 3.1, an M.2 slot, and other features normally reserved for the higher-end products.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I always get a chuckle over the marketing and branding of these consumer grade motherboards. "Pro Gaming". You know, for all those millions of folks who support a family with their Professional day job playing video games. LOL

Comment

What does « USB 3.0/2.0 port » and « USB 2.0/1.1 port » mean?
      If it's 3.0, then why mentioning the /2.0 ? I suppose it could do 3.0, 2.0 and 1.1.

Comment

Originally posted by totoz View Post
        What does « USB 3.0/2.0 port » and « USB 2.0/1.1 port » mean?
        If it's 3.0, then why mentioning the /2.0 ? I suppose it could do 3.0, 2.0 and 1.1.
        Customers are still dumb as a bag of bricks, many still ask if usb 3.0 will take usb 2.0 devices (or the reverse).

It's debatable that on a "gaming pro" board they would need to use dumb-proof speech.

Comment

• Gamer's Guardian
          • ASUS EPU
          • Ai Charger
          • USB 3.1 Boost
          • Disk Unlocker
          • ASUS EZ DIY
          • Media Streamer
          • RAMCache

Without knowing what any of those things are, they sound like something to be actively avoided.

Comment

The question is, does its BIOS support ECC? Yes, Asus claims it support ECC on its flyer, but I've found out Asus generally laying about it for some of their past workstation boards so the question is: does it support really SECDED? Thanks! Karel

Comment

Originally posted by kgardas View Post
              The question is, does its BIOS support ECC? Yes, Asus claims it support ECC on its flyer, but I've found out Asus generally laying about it for some of their past workstation boards so the question is: does it support really SECDED? Thanks! Karel
              My go-to board for solid ECC support is Supermicro. All of the Supermicro boards support ECC, and they all have full Linux support as well.

Comment

How much you want to bet that half of that feature list does NOT work in Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by JensRex View Post
                  • Gamer's Guardian
                  • ASUS EPU
                  • Ai Charger
                  • USB 3.1 Boost
                  • Disk Unlocker
                  • ASUS EZ DIY
                  • Media Streamer
                  • RAMCache

Without knowing what any of those things are, they sound like something to be actively avoided.
                  Not really...
                  • Gamer's Guardian - is extra well designed parts
                  • ASUS EPU - is better power management
                  • Ai Charger - USB Powered Devices Quick Charging
                  • USB 3.1 Boost - is a bandwidth throughput optimisation for scsi devices
                  • Disk Unlocker - is probably the only thing on the list to be avoided (seems like they are accessing hidden bits of HDD and SSD drives)
                  • ASUS EZ DIY - is a set of features that make building your system easier (their Q connector is awesome)
                  • Media Streamer - just streams media around your house
                  • RAMCache - caches disk io (you probably don't want this if you care about power outages)

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                    I always get a chuckle over the marketing and branding of these consumer grade motherboards. "Pro Gaming". You know, for all those millions of folks who support a family with their Professional day job playing video games. LOL

I am irritated over the "gaming" branding in general. Some manufacturers, like MSI for example, label everything they produce "Gaming". I am not a gamer and I don't like fancy gamer hardware but I never the less need good hardware. And this is also the case for Xeon motherboards even if Xeon is not intended for gaming.

Comment

Working...
                    X