Linux BIOS/UEFI Updating Is Going To Get Much Better With UEFI 2.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
    Why don't just use Qt? So the tool could be used across every os (ok low level war needs to change atleast for Windows), even on Linux GTK is loosing its use.
    Because Hughes is a GNOME developer and thus wants to write software for GNOME?

If you actually read the blog post, you would have noticed this quote:

in addition of course to the command line tools that Peter is writing for this.
    So if you feel like writing a Qt-app that does this I think everyone will be happy.
    Toolkit wars are stupid. Please stop. Especially when commenting that toolkit A is dying and everyone should switch to toolkit B when commenting on an article about new functionality using toolkit A... It's just ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by kigurai View Post
      Because Hughes is a GNOME developer and thus wants to write software for GNOME?

If you actually read the blog post, you would have noticed this quote:

So if you feel like writing a Qt-app that does this I think everyone will be happy.
      Toolkit wars are stupid. Please stop. Especially when commenting that toolkit A is dying and everyone should switch to toolkit B when commenting on an article about new functionality using toolkit A... It's just ridiculous.
      Because GNOME apss don't run well outside of GNOME and I think critical apps shouldn't depent on particular DE.

Comment

Because GNOME apss don't run well outside of GNOME and I think critical apps shouldn't depent on particular DE.
        We are doing these efforts in the context of the Fedora Workstation, which happens to use GNOME as its user interface, so our goal is to make a top
        notch user experience in that context. We try to be good open source citizens as part of that process by using free licensing, not requiring any CLAs and by making shared
        underlying pieces available as widely as possible, but we are not going to reduce our UI integration efforts to some unsatisfactory lowest common denominator
        because you want to use something else, that is your problem not ours. Our goal with the workstation is to create a highly polished and integrated system, not to create
        a bunch of half baked tools to be run on fvwm95 or whatever your poison of choice is.

Comment

This is the problem I have with the GNOME guys, go our way or go away.
          Qt has Ui integration where every you use GNOME or whatever.
          If Fedora is GNOME focused why support Qt based or GTK based stuff that is not GNOME based anyway?

I just want to use an that don't looks like an alien outside of its DE, even more when I have no choice but using it.

Comment

If Fedora is GNOME focused why support Qt based or GTK based stuff that is not GNOME based anyway?

I just want to use an that don't looks like an alien outside of its DE, even more when I have no choice but using it.
            Well you can always use the command line tools, or use Cockpit, or write your own UI. But asking us to make the tool
            look more alien inside our own DE to suit your preferences is crazy talk.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianSchaller View Post
              Well you can always use the command line tools, or use Cockpit, or write your own UI. But asking us to make the tool
              look more alien inside our own DE to suit your preferences is crazy talk.
              Its not look at GTK apps that run outside of GNOME especilly when they use CSD.

Comment

Fedora Workstation != Fedora. It's just one product, similar but not quite the same as a metapackage

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                  Fedora Workstation != Fedora. It's just one product, similar but not quite the same as a metapackage
                  yeah but its under the banner of fedora.

Comment

yeah but its under the banner of fedora.
                    Ookay, that's about as sensible as that because glibc is under the banner of GNU, gcc can't be

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                      Ookay, that's about as sensible as that because glibc is under the banner of GNU, gcc can't be
                      But fedora didn't supports only GNOME and shouln't make a choice between DEs.

Comment

Working...
                      X