Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coreboot Ported To RISC-V Architecture

Phoronix: Coreboot Ported To RISC-V Architecture

Coreboot has now been ported to UC Berkeley's RISC-V architecture and can at least work in an emulated environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

On one side this is nice to see but I'd rather like to see some "real", "existing" hardware to be supported that we all use. AMD gave us a fit occasion so a multitude of laptops and mainboards could be supported. But sadly there is little but relatively old stuff supported. Well, and some embedded industrial boards that are either not practical or/and very expensive. I wonder why. Are they missing manpower, datasheets or actual hardware to test? Or is it google having bought so many and steering in some direction that is only useful to them? Will coreboot even lead to tivoization for Chromebooks?
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      On one side this is nice to see but I'd rather like to see some "real", "existing" hardware to be supported that we all use. AMD gave us a fit occasion so a multitude of laptops and mainboards could be supported. But sadly there is little but relatively old stuff supported. Well, and some embedded industrial boards that are either not practical or/and very expensive. I wonder why. Are they missing manpower, datasheets or actual hardware to test? Or is it google having bought so many and steering in some direction that is only useful to them? Will coreboot even lead to tivoization for Chromebooks?
      My impression is the capable people either don't care or don't have time. AMD has ended up investing on opensource graphics driver heavily as well to make sure it won't stagnate

Comment

But now the radeonSI driver is competitive with Catalyst almost across the board, and considering its trajectory of improvement might even start clashing with the Nvidia driver by this time next year.

On the other side of the spectrum, I cannot buy almost any modern AMD motherboard from, say, Newegg, and have working coreboot. Yet all their GPUs on there will work great out of the box. I'd hate to ask AMD to keep hiring more foss devs when they are bleeding (seriously guys, I'm trying - I only buy AMD GPUs and go out of my way to build AMD CPU systems) money. Though the foss stuff can still be their salvation, if they can break through the wall around software freedom and make it actually important to consumers.

Comment

Working...
        X