No announcement yet.

AMD RS780/SB700 CoreBoot Support Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing that irks me about Coreboot is what they call a "OK" status of support is very generous. Alot of those "supported" boards that are marked "OK" still have many untested and WIP items or even will not work. When I see motherboards on the list as "OK" I would think at the very least the bloody SATA controller would work.

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
      I have this toshiba laptop with Intel CPU/NB/GPU... and the OEM BIOS is complete and utter garbage that's REALLY pissing me off.

I really hope Intel and VIA follow AMD's excellent lead here.

..and on my other laptop, this Inspiron 1420N with Intel X-25M TRIM f/w running Lucid, the BIOS is like, a third of the boot up time. Basura.
      Bad news here for you- laptop support is HARD- coreboot support doubly or triply so.
      Here's the Flashrom guide to getting your laptop supported:

If you decide to follow through, I can give you a few pointers on what to search for on Google (or your preferred search engine).

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
        I really hope Intel and VIA follow AMD's excellent lead here.
        Coreboot devs have said repeatedly that there are important things missing from Intel's chipset manuals and that Intel has been uncooperative when contacted about releasing some of these details. More generally, Intel seems to have "stuff" going on with wanting to control (parts of) the BIOS, and all of this is somehow intertwined with the push for EFI.

Comment

Can someone please enlighten me to whether this is relevant to or will be usable with my laptop/chipset or is this another no laptop thing?

Laptop is part of the HP TX2500 Series:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 Host Bridge
          00:01.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (int gfx)
          00:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 0)
          00:05.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 1)
          00:06.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 2)
          00:11.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
          00:12.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller
          00:12.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller
          00:12.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller
          00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller
          00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller
          00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller
          00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 3a)
          00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 IDE Controller
          00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
          00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 LPC host controller
          00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
          00:14.5 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI2 Controller
          00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Mobile K10 [Turion X2, Athlon X2, Sempron] HyperTransport Configuration (rev 40)
          00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 11h [Turion X2, Athlon X2, Sempron] Address Map
          00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Mobile K10 [Turion X2, Athlon X2, Sempron] DRAM Controller
          00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Mobile K10 [Turion X2, Athlon X2, Sempron] Miscellaneous Control
          00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Mobile K10 [Turion X2, Athlon X2, Sempron] Link Control

Comment

I believe your laptop has the RS780/SB700 chipset so yes, this is relevent. There are also a number of programming guides available for those parts, covering both graphics (on the x.org site) and NB/SB functionality (on amd.com).
            Test signature

Comment

Bridgman, is there a plan to release RS880 docs/code. It seems, that it is hard to find RS780 main boards nowadays.

Comment

I thought Via has been pretty nice to the Coreboot guys.

Comment

Drago; don't know but I imagine so... the programming delta between 780 and 880 is pretty small AFAIK.
                  Test signature

Comment

Hi all,

My mainboard is AM2+RS780+SB700.
                    I use "make menuconfig" command to choose motherboard.
                    I can only choose "AMD Tilapia" project.
                    However, it is AM3+RS780+SB700.

So how can I replace the cpu code to AM2?

BR
                    Grant

Comment

I don't think it would be that easy...you will have to spend some time hacking coreboot.

Comment

Working...
                      X