Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coreboot 24.02 Released - Supporting Three New Motherboards

Phoronix: Coreboot 24.02 Released - Supporting Three New Motherboards

Succeeding last year's Coreboot 4.22 release is now a new release... Coreboot 24.02. This open-source system firmware project is now the latest to shift to a year-month versioning system. The newly-christened Coreboot 24.02 brings support for three new motherboards, a number of ACPI updates, and also pulls in the new GRUB 2.12 and other changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Coreboot Dasharo is supposed to be working on two new meteor lake laptops for the maker NovaCustom by this summer. And probably system76 will come out with corebooted meteor lake laptops this year as well.

NovaCustom says "In Q2-2024, we will get new ... 14.0" and 16.0" laptop models respectively, featuring a 16:10 screen ratio, QHD+ screen resolution (optional), DDR5 memory, optional Nvidia graphics and an Intel Meteor Lake processor." Says the processors will be Ultra 5 125H / Ultra 7 165H.
    Last edited by andyprough; 01 March 2024, 02:52 PM.

Comment

They should start selling consumer boards with coreboot, that would be a feature I would pick a board over the competitors otherwise they are often more or less the same.

I mean it's still only coreboot with a trillion blobs nothing to special but better than this crappy average bioses.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
        They should start selling consumer boards with coreboot, that would be a feature I would pick a board over the competitors otherwise they are often more or less the same.
        The MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 (And all other later DDR5 and Z790-P variants) has been supported since two years ago or so. Seems that some people still didn't noticed it...

Comment

I mean it's still only coreboot with a trillion blobs nothing to special but better than this crappy average bioses.
          Dasharo is building in some nice features, such as the ability to disable Intel IME by flipping the "HAP bit" in Dasharo coreboot system settings; some nice power saving and battery life saving features. Quite a few other nice features under the hood. It's worth looking into. And the devs have been responsive to my one request for a new feature so far. Nice group of people.

Comment

Originally posted by zir_blazer View Post
            The MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 (And all other later DDR5 and Z790-P variants) has been supported since two years ago or so. Seems that some people still didn't noticed it...
            Well I don't care about Intel and would need yatx, and I have not 230 Euro for a Motherboard if a 60 euro board does 100% what I need, and I don't pay 150 Euro just for coreboot.

Comment

and I have not 230 Euro for a Motherboard if a 60 euro board does 100% what I need
              So, you do not want to pay for Coreboot and then complain that there are no (relevant) products using Coreboot?

Funding does not appear from nowhere, if no one is paying for someone to work on Coreboot then no work on Coreboot will eventually be done.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post
                Funding does not appear from nowhere, if no one is paying for someone to work on Coreboot then no work on Coreboot will eventually be done.
                A I don't go out of the way to use a proprietary coreboot, if it would be GNU Boot I would maybe consider such high price and switching to Intel but surely not for another proprietary bios replacement. Also why would be a bios to build cheaper than a coreboot, it's not like coreboot is already developed and you just need to make it run on a different board and again preinstall it.

Comment

Working...
                X