Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Boot 0.1 RC1 Released For This Coreboot/Libreboot Fork

Phoronix: GNU Boot 0.1 RC1 Released For This Coreboot/Libreboot Fork

The first release candidate of the inaugural GNU Boot has been released with users sought to try out this fork of Libreboot that in turn is derived from Coreboot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There was then drama over the summer with the Libreboot project trying to issue a GNU Boot release that weren't official/authorized.​
    Wtf? Any more information on that? That sounds pretty crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
      Dude, I don't know if you are sarcastic or not but you are literally quoting with the link that addresses the drama.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post

Dude, I don't know if you are sarcastic or not but you are literally quoting with the link that addresses the drama.
        I don't see in that link anything about a unofficial release or something, as far as I understand this Lea person released a Version of GNU boot to steal this name again, that is what I read out of it, in the link there is no mention of drama or unofficial unauthorized things happen, just a normal fork.

Comment

Whenever you think life is boring, you can be thankful that the GNU Boot/Libreboot fiasco puts off enough drama to make things interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post

Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

This is forking nuts

Comment

This is the first I've Hurd of it.
                Last edited by ehansin; 11 September 2023, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Yeah, with the insane momentum Core/Libreboot got, a fork is exactly what will ensure these will keep going

Comment

There was then drama over the summer with the Libreboot project trying to issue a GNU Boot release that weren't official/authorized.
                    blackiwid Sethox

The drama started when GNU literally called their fork “Libreboot”; they tried to steal the name first. Only after widespread backlash did they change the name to “GNU Boot”. Lea then released a parody version of Libreboot called “GNU Boot”, but it was stated on that page that it was a parody; Michael incorrectly reported it as claiming to be official. Then GNU threatened legal action against Lea, at which point she renamed the parody version.

TL;DR: GNU tried to steal the Libreboot name, failed, and then legally threatened Lea after she did the same thing to them.

Comment

Working...
                    X