FWUPD 1.7.2 Released With Fixes, Faster & Smaller Daemon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    i'm willing to pay more for modern motherboard with fwupd and/or coreboot support. i don't think there's any, so it's a bit hard to vote with wallet
    Which if you think about it is really strange. I mean why bother with creating your own update application and bios when there exists ready to use alternatives that also have zero costs involved. Especially for coreboot you have to be really bonkers as a MB manufacturer not to switch immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
      Especially for coreboot you have to be really bonkers as a MB manufacturer not to switch immediately.
      I have not looked recently, but when I skimmed the availability lists there were no coreboot based fully certified (and signed) images that will pass the entire Windows 11 secure boot requirements for recent MBs. That is an absolute non-negotiable "must have" for most MB manufacturers (yes, in theory, it can all be done, but as most MB manufactures use 3rd party vendors for their UEFI bios, and it is what those 3rd parties offer that matter, not some theory).
      Last edited by CommunityMember; 20 November 2021, 11:01 AM.

Comment

As someone who until recently worked for years on answering Multi-million Euro tenders (RFPs) for server equipment running Linux, I can assure you that the ability to flash firmware is a typical requirement. But the requirement normally leaves it fairly open as to how this is accomplished by the vendor.

A lot of server hardware can be flashed out-of-band via the service processor (BMC), and server (and component) vendors often have proprietary tools to flash in-band from Linux. I have never seen a customer mention (or ask about) fwupd, and the in-band and out-of-band methods they already provide is sufficient for the requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

I have not looked recently, but when I skimmed the availability lists there were no coreboot based fully certified (and signed) images that will pass the entire Windows 11 secure boot requirements for recent MBs. That is an absolute non-negotiable "must have" for most MB manufacturers (yes, in theory, it can all be done, but as most MB manufactures use 3rd party vendors for their UEFI bios, and it is what those 3rd parties offer that matter, not some theory).
          Shouldn't that just be solved is say ASUS signed their image of coreboot with their already existing key?

Comment

Working...
          X