Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FWUPD 1.7.2 Released With Fixes, Faster & Smaller Daemon

Phoronix: FWUPD 1.7.2 Released With Fixes, Faster & Smaller Daemon

FWUPD 1.7.2 is out as the latest release of this leading open-source solution for handling firmware updates under Linux for devices from motherboard UEFI to peripheral firmware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am sure that lfwupd is great, the problem is that companies like Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, MSI, etc does not support it.
    Manufacturers of desktop motherboards does not support it. 😢

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I am sure that lfwupd is great, the problem is that companies like Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, MSI, etc does not support it.
      fwupd needs time. I've got a Dell XPS and Dell supports fwupd now for a few years. I'm already in that part of the universe that 'fwupd support' is a hard requirement for new hardware.

And Richard deserves a huge round of applause. He is single-handedly pushing this further and further, relentlessly pushing vendors to come on board. This requires commitment, persistence and hard work, on a piece of software that for most end-users is rather invisible.

Everytime that my XPS comes up with a notification that new firmware is ready to be installed it makes me smile.

Comment

I agree it is sad that more OEMs do not support this.

Comment

Originally posted by spockfish View Post

fwupd needs time. I've got a Dell XPS and Dell supports fwupd now for a few years. I'm already in that part of the universe that 'fwupd support' is a hard requirement for new hardware.

And Richard deserves a huge round of applause. He is single-handedly pushing this further and further, relentlessly pushing vendors to come on board. This requires commitment, persistence and hard work, on a piece of software that for most end-users is rather invisible.

Everytime that my XPS comes up with a notification that new firmware is ready to be installed it makes me smile.
          Yeah, Richard has done an amazing job!

I just wish that Google, Red Hat, IBM, Canonical and SUSE pushed vendors to come on board.
          Last edited by uid313; 19 November 2021, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Yeah, Richard has done an amazing!

I just wish that Google, Red Hat, IBM, Canonical and SUSE pushed vendors to come on board.
            Those companies are already doing that. It's the h/w vendors who would need to reciprocate. This pressure has to come from customers as well.

Comment

This needs to become the standard.
              To a point manufacturers lose customers if they are not part if fwupd. If Windows was integrating this, that would be beneficial for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                Those companies are already doing that.
                The companies purchasing server class hardware are more likely to place such requirements into their RFPs.

It's the h/w vendors who would need to reciprocate.
                The HW vendors of server class hardware are more likely to implement such capabilities if a (mega-million) dollar sale is involved.

This pressure has to come from customers as well.
                Most of the individuals asking for support would appear to be those that are continuing to purchase from desktop vendors that do not support what they want. If one is not willing to vote with their wallet (and that may include not purchasing anything), why should desktop vendors care about the (around) 2%, since there is no actual revenue loss involved (they still buy). As others have mentioned, there are a couple of vendors (Dell was mentioned above) for whom some product lines provide for fwupd support, and perhaps people should just buy Dell, and tell the others to take a hike.
                Last edited by CommunityMember; 20 November 2021, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Same comment on every fwupd thread and an early bird! ;p

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                    Those companies are already doing that. It's the h/w vendors who would need to reciprocate. This pressure has to come from customers as well.
                    i'm willing to pay more for modern motherboard with fwupd and/or coreboot support. i don't think there's any, so it's a bit hard to vote with wallet

Comment

Working...
                    X