Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There's An Effort By A System76 Engineer To Bring Coreboot To Newer AMD Platforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flower View Post

I'd prefer RISC-V or Power but point is the same.
    I am already considering it for my next workstation which is due next summer
    While my hope might be misplaced I'm actually hoping that Apple brings some stability to the ARM Linux niche. The demoed Linux running on their machines but did not go into enough detail to really make a buying decision. However if they could bring out a stable and rational suite of drivers for their coming ARM based laptops it would be extremely interesting. This especially if they can get Linux to run for days on those laptops. In this case I'm thinking a small laptop for travel that supplements a desktop machine.

Of course we do not know if Apple will even be successful with this move but I'm honestly cheering them on. Not so much that I have huge love for Apple but rather if they have the success that I think is possible maybe other vendors will realize that ARM is viable as a laptop processor.

In the case of System 76; I'd rather that they would be working on an ARM based solution for Linux but if it takes Apple to show the rest of the industry the way then so be it. So far every ARM based laptop I've seen, has left me thinking that is the most half assed thing somebody could dream up.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

While my hope might be misplaced I'm actually hoping that Apple brings some stability to the ARM Linux niche.
      I highly doubt Apple has any interest in supporting Linux on their devices.

​​​Afaik their OS and HW will be locked down.

​​​​Which has some upsides if you like a walled garden as apple and their customers seems to prefer.

Comment

System76 is bringing some good momentum into the Linux Device market. I'm starting to really like them.

Comment

I did a quick double take there. On first glance at the author's thumbnail image I though it was Piers Morgan !

Comment

This is good news. For such a FOSS-focussed company, I've always found it strange the amount that they rely on Nvidia for their hardware.

I understand that it's good (for them) to have Nvidia supported as a first-class citizen in their software. But surely they'd be better served with AMD hardware where possible.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
              This is good news. For such a FOSS-focussed company, I've always found it strange the amount that they rely on Nvidia for their hardware.

I understand that it's good (for them) to have Nvidia supported as a first-class citizen in their software. But surely they'd be better served with AMD hardware where possible.
              I guess they are somehow tied to the product portfolio of Clevo + Tongfang. If they do not provide a lot of options....well not their fault

Comment

I would love to use coreboot on an AMD based laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

This is why I've resisted buying an AMD laptop right now. I'm actually looking to see what Apple delivers both as a Mac and hopefully their support for Linux on that hardware.
                  I doubt ARM is going to get better than AMD APUs, especially if you care about good quality GPU for your laptop. I don't expect anything Apple makes to work well. Unless Samsung will start making ARM laptops with AMD GPU tech. So I don't really care about ARM laptops, they don't look promising. AMD ones on the other hand have a good potential.

Comment

Am I the only one who doesn't care about coreboot/libreboot? What's the point of booting a linux kernel to boot my linux kernel? All I want a BIOS/UEFI to do is give me a F1/F8/F10/whatever button to press and a menu so I can choose my boot device and set my memory speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by some_canuck View Post
                      Am I the only one who doesn't care about coreboot/libreboot? What's the point of booting a linux kernel to boot my linux kernel? All I want a BIOS/UEFI to do is give me a F1/F8/F10/whatever button to press and a menu so I can choose my boot device and set my memory speeds.
                      an extremely simplistic view
                      completely not taking into account the fact that the stability (and sometimes functionality) of the whole system may depend on a standards-compliant BIOS. And guess what - many if not most of the mobos are windows-compliant rather than adhering to standards
                      literally anything in your daily use could be broken by a bad BIOS

Comment

Working...
                      X