No announcement yet.

Coreboot Finally Sees Zen/Ryzen Support In The Form Of Picasso APU Enablement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coreboot Finally Sees Zen/Ryzen Support In The Form Of Picasso APU Enablement

Phoronix: Coreboot Finally Sees Zen/Ryzen Support In The Form Of Picasso APU Enablement

The Coreboot open-source firmware/BIOS project has finally seen initial AMD Zen CPU support as part of Google engineers bringing up Picasso APU support in order to handle an upcoming Chromebook launch...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope coreboot support will be there before I build my Ryzen rig, I'd love to be able to use it on my desktop as well, as there's no reason to run UEFI when I can go straight from init to GNU GRUB. I don't like spending most of my boot time in firmware. Also, I wonder whether this means that PSP will be disabled at least to some extent.

Comment

I would love to buy a chromebook with an AMD Zen APU. It is a shame that no mainboard manufacturer provides coreboot support out of the box. UEFI is a terrible to update and to use.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        sadly it seems unlikey we'll see many (or any timely?) AMD motherboards

Comment

Well, that's a step in the right direction. A first step after some time, but a step.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
            Well, that's a step in the right direction. A first step after some time, but a step.
            Not really as this comes from Google not AMD.

That said Raven Ridge should only be trivially different form Picasso. And if Picasso works that should also be a lot of the changes for desktop zen as well.

Comment

AMD Chromebooks?

Comment

Originally posted by LoveRPi View Post
                AMD Chromebooks?
                My experience with Ryzen has been surprisingly good! This taking into account the bleeding edge hardware and one or two outstanding bugs. AMD is no longer miles behind in performance and you do get decent GPUs in their APUs. My only wish is that these Chromebooks allow an easy deletion of the OS for a clean Linux install.

Comment

I'm hoping this is a sign of more AMD Ryzen mobile laptops to come. My 10 year old MacBook pro 13" is looking for it's successor.

Comment

Good that AMD is finally moving on Ryzen Coreboot support. Bad that it took Google to make them, rather than user demands. But I guess that is par for the course, Mediatek and Rockchip had to be dragged kicking and streaming too.

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                    My only wish is that these Chromebooks allow an easy deletion of the OS for a clean Linux install.
                    I think with all Chromebooks it is the same: Enter developer mode, have control over everything except system firmware.
                    Partial control over system firmware can be achieved by operating a hardware switch on the mobo.

Comment

Working...
                    X