Raspberry Pi 3B+ Launches With Faster CPU, Dual-Band 802.11ac, Faster Ethernet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Looks awfully like a mobile device devboard, I suspect they got some "inspiration" from the devboard of their chosen SoC.
    Probably is. I won't be buying it, I prefer boards with decent community / mainline Linux support and don't see point in using dev boards for media playback. Those Kodi/Android boxes available from all the chinese stores work much better as a HTPC.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      To be fair, OrangePi didn't get much praise, and the Pine boards are harder to find at decent prices than Raspi.
      Yep, right. It's to counter rubdos argument about RPI low cost. I myself use RPI3B for projects cause the availability and more mature, stable, and regularly updated linux (raspbian). I've orangepi zero bought at $9 for tinkering. Maybe would buy another orangepi in the future.

Comment

For something no one likes, it sure triggers a large amount of posts.

- If you need something other than Rasbian, try Armbian for Pi
        - If you need more power and pay more, get an Asus TinkerBoard ($58)
        - If you need USB3 or GbE, get one of the various SOC boards being made (Up!, Odroid) etc for $100
        - If you need uninhibited graphics, get a mini-ITX board

If you want all of the above for $35, then jump on SpaceX's Mars mission and live in a cave, because you won't see it on Earth for a few more years.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
          For something no one likes, it sure triggers a large amount of posts.

- If you need something other than Rasbian, try Armbian for Pi
          - If you need more power and pay more, get an Asus TinkerBoard ($58)
          - If you need USB3 or GbE, get one of the various SOC boards being made (Up!, Odroid) etc for $100
          - If you need uninhibited graphics, get a mini-ITX board

If you want all of the above for $35, then jump on SpaceX's Mars mission and live in a cave, because you won't see it on Earth for a few more years.
          How about actually helping people by offering links to informative sites like these?
          With over 450 active entries, Board-DB is the largest online database and comparison tool for single board computers (SBCs), computing modules (SoMs), and dev boards.

You're wrong in so many ways if you think that there are only four boards to choose from. The board-db page has a database of 240+ boards.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

How about actually helping people by offering links to informative sites like these?
            With over 450 active entries, Board-DB is the largest online database and comparison tool for single board computers (SBCs), computing modules (SoMs), and dev boards.

You're wrong in so many ways if you think that there are only four boards to choose from. The board-db page has a database of 240+ boards.
            It wasn't meant to be exhaustive, just an example that there are alternatives to Pi. Yes, there are a ton out there at various levels of capability and availability.

Thank you for posting the links and yes, I have been to those 2 sites. I am sure people can find the board to meet their technical needs, not so sure of the budgetary ones.

Comment

The lack of ram is the real problem, especially in home server scenarios

Comment

Originally posted by Kendji View Post
                You can enable swap to SD card, USB hard drive, or NFS share.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                  You can enable swap to SD card, USB hard drive, or NFS share.
                  You really think that's viable, considering the RPi's poor I/O capabilities? Hitting swap is a total performance killer even on, for example, sata-attached spinning platters in a desktop, but here you are, advocating swap over USB2 or crappy SD.

Originally posted by Kendji View Post
                  I would think lack of bandwidth is the biggest problem for any kind of server scenario. This new RPi revision improves that quite a bit by going with Gigabit instead of Fast Ethernet, but still.

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                  Yeah, some people want the whole world and think they can get it for next to nothing.

Comment

Hopefully the Rpi will be the first thing to switch to RISC-V, as it becomes more widely used and available. As others have pointed out, there are other boards with similar processing power, even with FPGAs, and a lot of I/O connectivity for ~$100. One of my favourites is: https://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/p...English&No=941

If you just want to run C code, step up from an arduino and have more flexibility and performance, the Rpi does embedded things well. If you actually want to run a desktop-class app, you'll probably have to go with a more professional dev board. You're almost better off going with x86 again: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...FwtxVVqQ%3D%3D

Build your ideal computer system for home, work or play from a generous starting point by choosing from a wide selection of Intel Mini PC barebone systems.
                    Last edited by audir8; 14 March 2018, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by audi100quattro View Post
                      If you actually want to run a desktop-class app, you'll probably have to go with a more professional dev board. You're almost better off going with x86 again
                      That is what I'm thinking. Some people want the Pi and similar cards to have desktop hardware capabilities. If you really want the smallest and lowest power option, prepare yourself to spend a lot of money. For $100 dollars you can buy one of those Intel Atom boards that will stomp most of the cheap boards in power, but also have much more software available, and have no shortage of affordable accessories.

Comment

Working...
                      X