AMD FreeSync For Tear-Free Linux Gaming - Current State In 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pete910 View Post
    What other FS2 monitors have they made before the chg70 range ?
    don't know sequence of making, but they announced chg90 at the same time

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      I wonder if there is a application like CRU under Linux, which lets you change the freesync range. My monitors default is 48-60 which is useless but can be set to 35-60 with CRU (custom res utility)
      Last time I checked amdgpu driver ignores custom refresh rate entries in xorg.org etc.

Comment

I just wish there were any 16:10 FreeSync monitors on the market. Which will probably never happen. So I'm keeping my Dell u2415.

Oh well, I mostly stick to strategy games anyway, they don't require mad smooth FPS...

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
          I wonder if there is a application like CRU under Linux, which lets you change the freesync range. My monitors default is 48-60 which is useless but can be set to 35-60 with CRU (custom res utility)
          Originally posted by gbil View Post
          Last time I checked amdgpu driver ignores custom refresh rate entries in xorg.org etc.
          FreeSync range is reported by the monitor via EDID. The correct way to override EDID in Linux is to pass drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=... kernel parameter to point to your custom EDID file.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            don't know sequence of making, but they announced chg90 at the same time
            Part of the same range , the 90 is that 49" ultra wide curved . So still not understanding the "history" part of your earlier statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

You can have all that without waiting for Freesync 2. You just have to do your research and know what you are buying. There are a lot of shitty Freesync monitors out there, but there are some good ones as well. The best Freesync monitors are pretty much on par with what Freesync 2 is going to be, except Freesync 2 also adds HDR as an requirement even though that has nothing to do with synchronisation or refresh rate.

I could... but I'm happy enough with my three-head spread of gifted/thrifted DVI monitors that it's not worth the effort to do the research before FreeSync 2 compliance narrows the field. (Plus, it'd be nice if I could mate it with multi-monitor FreeSync and a mature enough KWin Wayland implementation to meet my needs.)
              Last edited by ssokolow; 18 December 2017, 06:56 PM.

Comment

ssokolow That's a perfectly good excuse considering the current state of Freesync on GNU/Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  In the meantime, AMD GPU market share dropped from 25% to below 9% in a single year, so freesync is more and more irrelevant.

It's a useless number, because AMD had no actual integrated graphics product on the market for whole 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                    FreeSync range is reported by the monitor via EDID. The correct way to override EDID in Linux is to pass drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=... kernel parameter to point to your custom EDID file.

by correct I guess you mean what works, because I really doubt having to reboot in order to change refresh rate is correct but... long live kms

Comment

Originally posted by gbil View Post

by correct I guess you mean what works, because I really doubt having to reboot in order to change refresh rate is correct but... long live kms
                      On Windows you have to either reboot or restart the graphics driver for EDID modifications to apply. Not sure how it works on Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X