HDMI 2.1 Specification Brings 4K@120Hz / 8K@60Hz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leipero View Post

I yet have to see CRT that ghosts..., that's imposibility by the nature of how screen function.
    [snip]
    Actually CRT's do not have individual pixels, they have as double/tripple (for RGB) "mesh" and resolution is pretty much irrelevant
    [snip]
    As for headache and eye strain, it might happen to some people, but it is largely a myth propagated when LCD's got introduced..., no one sane ever used CRT's under 75Hz (ideally above 85Hz).
    Um. I have to believe that you've never researched how a CRT works. Please go read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode_ray_tube , specifically about Dot Pitch and Phosphor Persistance. Then you'll understand CRT resolution and "ghosting". You could output a 1600x1200 signal but if the CRT had no phosphor at that pixel location you didn't get a pixel. It was just badly formed 1280x1200. CRT ghosting was especially noticeable when running a cheap monitor designed for 60 Hz at 75 - 85 Hz. Because the phosphor was still emitting light at the old pixel location!

Even high refresh rate CRTs caused eye strain in typical office environments because you have fluorescent lights that strobe at 60 Hz. Then with the CRT you get a strobe at a frequency beat between the CRT and the lights.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      do you have videocard which is able to produce 4k@120 ?
      i am waiting for any freesync 2 monitor(current "freesync 2" monitors are out of spec), but i am not aiming higher than 1440p, which is more than 2 times less pixels to draw
      If PCs could deal with 1600x1200 ages ago I don't think pushing that many pixels would be too huge a problem - in theory and for something simple like scrolling text and pictures at least.
      Buut maybe the scaler built into 1st gen 4K/120 monitors will be relatively bad.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
        If PCs could deal with 1600x1200 ages ago I don't think pushing that many pixels would be too huge a problem - in theory and for something simple like scrolling text and pictures at least.
        for simple scrolling you don't need 120hz. but you do need it for modern games, which spend more resources on each pixel

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post

I'm trying to find good CRT, and I can't find it anywhere..., recently when cleaning I've destroyed my good Samsung, and left with the bad one..., there are tons of CRT's with 1024x768_85, but I need at least 1280x960_85, and it seems they all are recycled or dead .
          Well I have a couple of pretty decent 21" CRT's (NEC) that I've purchased from my old workplace some (many) years ago. Private msg me and perhaps we'll sort something out

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

hdmi is for tvs, not for monitiors
            True, but the signals are mostly the same.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
              True, but the signals are mostly the same.
              which signals? dp alternate mode or hdmi cec?

Comment

which signals? dp alternate mode or hdmi cec?

Comment

dp 1.4 is 32.4 raw gbit/s, which is obviously out of range for any contemporary usb
                  and dp 1.4 can do 4k@144hz only with lossy compression
                  Technically speaking, USB-C in thunderbolt 3 mode with active cables provides 40 Gbit/s, USB-C is the connector, does not mean all communication moves through USB protocol itself.

Passive cables with USB-C are capped at 20 Gbit/s (according to wikipedia), so DP, HDMI, and the like are capped to that.

Comment

if only small subset of signals is mostly the same then signals are mostly different

Comment

Working...
                    X