HDMI 2.1 Specification Brings 4K@120Hz / 8K@60Hz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Well, having being late to the LCD party (got one only about 10 yeas ago), I remember vividly the eye strain from CRT monitors and TV.

As for the CRT refresh rate, some people know squat about configuring video modes on a PC. At work, I have seen a lot of people using misconfigured screens, to the point it piss me off so much that I grab the mouse/touchpad of their hands and configure it myself.
    I've never experienced eye strain, it is possible at lower refresh rates, especially from CRT TV's (50/60Hz) if you are too close to them when watching. Yeah, I've got pissed off by people not caring/configuring their screen way too often in past also, LCD's at least solve that problem. Not a fan of glossy finish either tho, and I never saw CRT without it.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      USB-C in DisplayPort mode is a DP 1.4, so it can do that already.
      dp 1.4 is 32.4 raw gbit/s, which is obviously out of range for any contemporary usb
      and dp 1.4 can do 4k@144hz only with lossy compression

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        now it's common to find IPS monitors rated at 1-2 ms
        you can easily find monitor rated for 1:1000000 contrast, ratings are limited only by imagination of writer.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
          Still waiting for those well priced korean 4k@120 DP freesync monitors to show up.
          do you have videocard which is able to produce 4k@120 ?
          i am waiting for any freesync 2 monitor(current "freesync 2" monitors are out of spec), but i am not aiming higher than 1440p, which is more than 2 times less pixels to draw

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            dp 1.4 is 32.4 raw gbit/s, which is obviously out of range for any contemporary usb
            and dp 1.4 can do 4k@144hz only with lossy compression
            DisplayPort alternate mode in USB supports DP 1.4 just fine though.

Comment

Originally posted by zamadatix View Post
              DisplayPort alternate mode in USB supports DP 1.4 just fine though.
              with what bandwidth?

Comment

with what bandwidth?
                DP 1.4 describes the bandwidth... 32.4 Gbps.

Comment

Originally posted by zamadatix View Post
                  DP 1.4 describes the bandwidth... 32.4 Gbps.
                  no, it describes its maximum bandwidth. cables have their own limits.
                  in our case 4k@144hz is achievable only with up to 1m cables and lossy compression

Comment

you can easily find monitor rated for 1:1000000 contrast, ratings are limited only by imagination of writer.
                    Or technology such as active matrix (O)LEDs and better liquid crystal panel materials.
                    Panasonic Develops Industry's First*1 IPS Liquid Crystal Panel with Contrast Ratio of over 1,000,000:1
                    http://news.panasonic.com/global/pre...n161128-4.html

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                      Or technology such as active matrix (O)LEDs and better liquid crystal panel materials.
                      no, ratings are not limited by technology in any way
                      btw, you can not "easily find" neither oled monitor nor anything else with real high contrast
                      Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                      Panasonic Develops Industry's First*1 IPS Liquid Crystal Panel with Contrast Ratio of over 1,000,000:1
                      http://news.panasonic.com/global/pre...n161128-4.html
                      it is marketing material, i have no idea how it will stand in testing
                      they say they have two layers of liquid crystalls with second one is somehow "different"(if it is better, why it is not used in first one?). with two layers you could have squared contrast of one layer, so it could work, but it could work not as good as in presentation

Comment

Working...
                      X