RadeonSI/RADV Mesa 17.3 + AMDGPU DC vs. NVIDIA 387.12 Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    4k makes sense on 43'' screens, as there it has a similar PPI (pixel per square inch) of a normal fullhd PC monitor, so you actually have more space.

If you buy smaller screens then you need to upscale your applications or it's too small to be read, and this defies the point of a 4k screen.
    Have you seen a 4K screen?
    I use a 28" screen and the quality compared to 1440P on a 28" is absolutely staggering.
    We have full HD on these 4" phones for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      VEGA64 only %10 faster then a R9 Fury card, truly my brain struggles with this..... (in actual game performance)

This sort of issue really needs to be investigated by AMD, the Vega64 should be at minimal %30 faster then a standard R9 Fury, SURELY!¿
      I was about to ask the same. You can see the perf difference like it actually should be in the older games and Unigine Superposition but actually no one cares for a benchmark and 2 old school shooters. In MadMax and Deus:Ex, the performance delta is a joke. So the question is, are those games in general under-performing in Mesa or is there still something in the tank for Vega?
      Right now it makes no sense to buy a new Vega when you can get used Furys for 250€ less and have little to no performance loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Strunkenbold View Post

I was about to ask the same. You can see the perf difference like it actually should be in the older games and Unigine Superposition but actually no one cares for a benchmark and 2 old school shooters. In MadMax and Deus:Ex, the performance delta is a joke. So the question is, are those games in general under-performing in Mesa or is there still something in the tank for Vega?
        Right now it makes no sense to buy a new Vega when you can get used Furys for 250€ less and have little to no performance loss.
        Vega is performing a lot better than fury in Windows, but deus ex especially performs bad in linux imho.

Comment

Michael will you ever stop perpetuating the myth that the triangle test is "purely limited by video memory bandwidth"? Just for one thing, Vega doesn't have more memory bandwidth than Fiji.

Comment

Originally posted by oleyska View Post
            I use a 28" screen and the quality compared to 1440P on a 28" is absolutely staggering.
            of static picture surely. how about modern games 4k vs 2.5k ?

Comment

In MadMax and Deus:Ex, the performance delta is a joke.
              acutally, in dxmd vega 21% faster than fury
              if you will play only select games and will not use any new hardware features( like double vram)

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                I was talking about games mainly... I was so surprised cause I thought of it more as a gimmick but I stand corrected.
                I bought a 4K monitor for desktop use not for gaming but I immediately saw the massive difference in a lot of games, Wolfenstein New order, Witcher2 is the ones I definitely can confirm a big difference on.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  also staggering. 4k is a no brainer. you just have to see it. I did not believe it myself until I started 4k gaming a year ago. Even 2d indy-platformers look so much sharper / better. and the price difference to a fullHD monitor is not even very high nowadays. Only competitive gamers have to pay high prices to also get 120+fps

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                    Can you also try with the xf86-video-amdgpu driver rather than modesetting, you're running 1.19.3 which was released back in March
                    In my experience xf86-video-x is better for perception, but modesetting shows better FPS most of the time, regardless of that I still prefer xf86 for xorg.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                      Spoken like someone who has no 4k screen. Bravo.
                      If you had you would know that you only need to scale up a bit because of the higher dpi. Everything is so much sharper, so it can bei smaller. You may Not double your space but you get like 1.5 Times the space.
                      While with a 4k on 43-ish inches you get 4 times the space (4k is 4 times the resolution of fullHD and I fully expect to be able to use it), which is my main point. I'm not buying a 4k screen to strain my eyes and still not use even half of that high res.

And contrary to popular opinion, I've seen enough 4k displays and TVs too.

Comment

Working...
                      X