No announcement yet.

Radeon RX Vega OpenGL Linux Performance For September 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no hangs or render problems? if not the results are really good and again why Amd stop with pro driver and put all resourges in open driver?

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
      no hangs or render problems? if not the results are really good and again why Amd stop with pro driver and put all resourges in open driver?
      The pro driver is really aimed at CAD workstation users these days, where OpenGL compatibility profiles are frequently required and geometry >> fragment workloads are common. The open driver is based on Mesa which does not support OpenGL compatibility profiles and where there is no community consensus to add support.

We do look periodically at using the open source GL driver for workstation / compat profile workloads - so far it has not made a lot of sense. The legacy nature of apps requiring compatibility profiles means that there is not a lot of effort to be saved by dropping the current driver.
      Test signature

Comment

Looks promising for starters. I'd like to see RadeonSI get more attention to fix a lot of the flaws, but as it stands, this appears to be great performance for what I'd call a non optimized driver. Can't wait to see optimized results.

Comment

Vega is a little rough to get working flawlessly on Linux with mesa right now. I had to try a few different staging revisions to find a kernel that was stable. The most recent kernel I tried HDMI audio was broke. So currently using something a little older. I'm sure it'll all get much better over the next few months.

Can't wait to get this card in a new Ryzen system. Currently using it on my old Q6600 and no doubt it's being held back.

Comment

What are the expected performance once the RadeonSI driver matures for Vega? 30% more? bridgman marek

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
              Vega is a little rough to get working flawlessly on Linux with mesa right now. I had to try a few different staging revisions to find a kernel that was stable. The most recent kernel I tried HDMI audio was broke. So currently using something a little older. I'm sure it'll all get much better over the next few months.

Can't wait to get this card in a new Ryzen system. Currently using it on my old Q6600 and no doubt it's being held back.
              Q6600... I'm dying on the inside. Now, also on the outside... For real though, Ryzen 5 1600 overclocked would probably do pretty well for you.

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
                [...]Currently using it on my old Q6600[...]
                Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
                Q6600... I'm dying on the inside. Now, also on the outside... For real though, Ryzen 5 1600 overclocked would probably do pretty well for you.
                Heck even a Ryzen 3 1200 would probably slaughter it. Hats of to you though LeJimster for sticking with a quality CPU (not-sarcasm!) and for having the brass to take the risk of a Vega on it. I would have thought the mobo would certainly have been in-compatible with that GPU. Aren't all the Core4Quad mobos limited to PCIE 1.1? I know there was compatibility issues with PCIE 2.1 GPUs which could only be fixed on some motherboard with bios fixes (ran into the issue on one of my systems). So I'm dead curious what your motherboard is?

This also makes me want to see a benchmark comparison between a Intel Q6600 and a Ryzen 3 1200. Michael Pretty please? Extra points if you down clock the Ryzen to the same speed as the CoreQuad for a direct IPC comparison? I'm getting paid soon so I might get a premium subscription if you do

Comment

Originally posted by randomsalad View Post

What kind of artifacts would that be? I can verify that, at the very least, my RX Vega 64 doesn't appear to produce any artifacts (that I'm aware of) on the game menu screen.
                  @oleyska
                  ​​Probably something was broke with latest llvm code in svn repo. I have some artifacts on rx470. But i don't have time for testing maybe tomorow.
                  Last edited by frosth; 16 September 2017, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

The pro driver is really aimed at CAD workstation users these days, where OpenGL compatibility profiles are frequently required and geometry >> fragment workloads are common.
                    and people who want AMD's official Vulkan driver...

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                      The pro driver seems to exist also largely because of the effort that goes into the windows drivers..
                      Plus the vulkan driver being developed there will eventually make it's way into MESA.

Comment

Working...
                      X