No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon RX 580 Linux OpenGL/Vulkan Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to see RX580 down clocked to RX480 and then see temperatures, consumption and noise.
    I'm not sure if AMD did the right thing by raising the clocks.
    Last edited by Nille_kungen; 20 April 2017, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
      I would like to see RX580 down clocked to RX480 and then see temperatures, consumption and noise.
      Anandtech's review did that for 2 tests, and found the 580 quite a bit more power-efficient in one, but worse in the other, so they basically chalked it up as a wash pending further testing.
      If you care much about power usage, you were going with a 1060 anyway. And if you want to stay with AMD, then just get the 570 instead of the 480.

Comment

They didn't only raise clocks but TDP rate also, RX 480 had TDP rated at 150W, while RX 580 is 185W... RX 470 was 120W TDP but RX 570 is now 150W, etc...

Or should i say TBP instead of TDP these days seems people like to use that, so RX 580 is 185W TBP.

Both are not real power consumpation anyway, as typical Windows user has Radeon Software... Chilly Willy right in front of his face
        Last edited by dungeon; 20 April 2017, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

You must be joking, take look of gt 440, gt 630 and gt 730 ddr3 versions. All are equally fast.
          https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/b...ardware.81325/
          More like equally slow.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

More like equally slow.
            Or just equal

He, he there is not just RX 550 down there (should appear today somewhere i guess) but seems like there is RX 540 also

https://www.techpowerup.com/232494/r...on-amd-website

Seems like slower memory variant of Polaris 12... what would be price of that $59 or something? Or is that laptop only, hmm... it seems it is, i am writing to fast or too slow who knows
            Last edited by dungeon; 20 April 2017, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              They didn't only raise clocks but TDP rate also, RX 480 had TDP rated at 150W, while RX 580 is 185W... RX 470 was 120W TDP but RX 570 is now 150W, etc...
              The RX 480 was officially rated at 150W, but it actually ended up drawing about 185W under load. Probably the biggest problem relating to that was the fact that with reference or heavily reference-based PCBs it would draw over 90W over the PCIe bus when the official spec only allows for 75W. For most users this wasn't an issue, but with multi-GPU setups this extra could, when sustained, break motherboards and I think that I heard some rumors that this has actually happened to some cryptocurrency miners. Then there was also the fact that the reference card seems to have been designed for a more efficient chip than that which actually came out of the foundry so power delivery at full load was constrained.

I've seen some board analysis on 580 cards and it would seem like they all have power delivery sorted out and better coolers to boot. Even the Powercolor Red Devil cards, that were supposed to be factory overclocked, but due to the insufficient power delivery carried over from the reference design and improper cooling for the voltage regulators couldn't run stress tests like Furmark without serious risk of destroying themselves, seem to be sorted out.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                as typical Windows user has Radeon Software... Chilly Willy right in front of his face
                Since I'm not an widows user i would need radeon chill in linux for it to help in any way and i thought this was for linux audience.

Comment

Since I'm not an widows user i would need radeon chill in linux for it to help in any way and i thought this was for linux audience.
                  Yeah for now as i know, only Windows has that Chilly Willy and other penguines are not supported

There are references in AMDGPU-PRO profiles about that Chill, so at least as rumor it might be support to be planned for Linux too at some point of time.

Last edited by dungeon; 20 April 2017, 03:51 AM.

Comment

I think he went for the wrong part of the spectrum. RX-570/580 is boring. RX-560 is slightly more interesting with its shader boost, but RX-540-550 is really what is new.

With RX4xx there was no cheap, low-power multi-DP card. If one needed more than one 4K monitor, connected through DP, only option was RX-470.

Or an expensive FirePro card, that was a couple generations old.

These models could change that.

Comment

All these numbers do my head in. I have a 380X and I don't even know where it truly sits among the different models except it was a similar cost yet faster than a 460 at the time. Other than that all i know is it serves me well at my 1080p res lol.

Comment

Working...
                      X