AMD Radeon RX 580 Linux OpenGL/Vulkan Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
    I think he went for the wrong part of the spectrum. RX-570/580 is boring. RX-560 is slightly more interesting with its shader boost, but RX-540-550 is really what is new.

With RX4xx there was no cheap, low-power multi-DP card. If one needed more than one 4K monitor, connected through DP, only option was RX-470.

Or an expensive FirePro card, that was a couple generations old.

These models could change that.
    Radeon Pro you mean FirePro naming is obsolete and color is changed to Blue , there are 3 Polaris based cards of WX serie

http://www.amd.com/en-gb/products/gr...on/firepro-3d/

Of course these are expensive, starting as low as $284 as i see:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16814105067

That is 50 W TBP, has multi-DP... only prob is price But WX is built by AMD, only by AMD so no other vendors do WX... some probably value that if that worth 3X as much price.
    Last edited by dungeon; 20 April 2017, 03:05 AM.

Comment

Thanks, but no thanks.
      I don't intend to pay €300 for €50-worth of HW just for that Pro sticker.
      I don't care if they label it "For an average Asshole" - i just want cheap-efficioen chip from RX460 ( or even smaller, more shader-cippled version), some gig or two of GDDR5 and a couple of modern DP outputs.

And it seems I might be able to see something like that within RX5xx.

Comment

Thanks, but no thanks.
        I don't intend to pay €300 for €50-worth of HW just for that Pro sticker.
        It is not just stiker, even Radeon Software GUI is Blue instead of Red when you run these

I don't care if they label it "For an average Asshole" - i just want cheap-efficioen chip from RX460 ( or even smaller, more shader-cippled version), some gig or two of GDDR5 and a couple of modern DP outputs.

And it seems I might be able to see something like that within RX5xx.
        Maybe some vendor will made card like that like-WX RX ... chip can do it and that is up to them of course.

AMD somehow divide these segments as RX, PRO and INSTINCT

Red, Blue and Black maybe Violet it seems... BTW they should make whole AMD site like that, looks much more modern - where modernity seems to be, "click me" more pictures and videos and less text
        Last edited by dungeon; 20 April 2017, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Michael, can't you please run these tests with all AMD cards running on amdgpu, even though it is still not default for SI cards? It doesn't take many minutes to compile your own kernel, especially not now when they even come pre-packaged. I, along with many other users on this forum, has been running SI cards on amdgpu for over a year without any issues.
          Of course my issue with these tests running on the old radeon driver is the regression for R290 popping back up.

I would appreciate it! And thank you for including the R290 again, even though your cards behaves very erratically.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
            Michael, can't you please run these tests with all AMD cards running on amdgpu, even though it is still not default for SI cards? It doesn't take many minutes to compile your own kernel, especially not now when they even come pre-packaged. I, along with many other users on this forum, has been running SI cards on amdgpu for over a year without any issues.
            Of course my issue with these tests running on the old radeon driver is the regression for R290 popping back up.

I would appreciate it! And thank you for including the R290 again, even though your cards behaves very erratically.
            I didn't for this article since my recent AMDGPU vs. Radeon benchmarks didn't show many compelling performance reasons to do so besides Vulkan support.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I think he went for the wrong part of the spectrum. RX-570/580 is boring. RX-560 is slightly more interesting with its shader boost, but RX-540-550 is really what is new.

With RX4xx there was no cheap, low-power multi-DP card. If one needed more than one 4K monitor, connected through DP, only option was RX-470.

Or an expensive FirePro card, that was a couple generations old.

These models could change that.
              I intend to buy a RX 560 when they become available and RX 550 if cheap enough.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Looking at the new Radeon 500 series there's more cards then in the Radeon RX 400 series.
                It looks like we will see AMD in more motherboards and laptops.

Radeon RX 580 Desktop, Laptop
                Radeon RX 570 Desktop, Laptop
                Radeon RX 560 Desktop, Laptop
                Radeon RX 550 Desktop, Laptop
                Radeon RX 540 Laptop
                Radeon 530 Desktop, Laptop 3rd Gen GCN 28nm So this is a re-rebrand of an Volcanic Islands chip and i guess it's Beema with a new name.
                Radeon 520 Desktop, Laptop 1st Gen GCN 28nm So this is a re-re-rebrand of an Southern Island chip and i guess it's Oland with a new name.
                This indicates a difference from the RX 400 series that wasn't not to be found in many laptops, i can only think of ASUS X550IU with the RX 460 GPU and it was released 2017.
                Last edited by Nille_kungen; 20 April 2017, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                  ... and I think that I heard some rumors that this has actually happened to some cryptocurrency miners. ...
                  Thanks, no further questions your honor.
                  /thread

Also get your rumors right, GPUs for mining is dead since a couple of years, they use specialized FPGAs nowadays. There is no way anyone would have used an RX400 card for cyrptomining.

And last but not least, the mobo is merely relaying the power from the PSU to the PCIEX slot, there are no chips whatsoever involved - nothing can break here.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                    Looking at the new Radeon 500 series there's more cards then in the Radeon RX 400 series.
                    It looks like we will see AMD in more motherboards and laptops.

Radeon RX 580 Desktop, Laptop
                    Radeon RX 570 Desktop, Laptop
                    Radeon RX 560 Desktop, Laptop
                    Radeon RX 550 Desktop, Laptop
                    Radeon RX 540 Laptop
                    Radeon 530 Desktop, Laptop
                    Radeon 520 Desktop, Laptop

This indicates a difference from the RX 400 series that wasn't not to be found in many laptops, i can only think of ASUS X550IU with the RX 460 GPU and it was released 2017.
                    He, he, these 520/530 are not Polaris, looks more like Olands... AMD still can sell GCN 1.0 tech

Comment

Being an owner of a GTX 960 2GB am I having more questions than answers after looking at these numbers.

Why is there no benchmark of the GTX 960 with Tomb Raider?

Why did the GTX 960 fall so extremely behind the GTX 1050 in Metro Redux?

How does one run Unigine Superposition in "High" on a card with only 2GB VRAM?

I have noticed these things in previous benchmarks and had assumed these were minor mistakes or oddities. Yet, this seems to reappear and I cannot help but to get curious. Can someone answer these questions for me?

Comment

Working...
                      X