AMD's Radeon R9 Fury Showing Some Gains With AMDGPU's DRM-Next 4.12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vein View Post

Well, if you dont like ubuntu then the different rolling distros seem to do a good job here. I use arch(antergos) and it updates great. And I have heard good things about opensuse tumbleweed too.
    I don't think you understood his english, or perhaps I'm not understanding yours... he said this...

..."The only issue compared to windows is that it is difficult to stay right up to date on MESA graphics drivers unless you use an Ubuntu based distro."...

So he's saying that it is easy with ubuntu (which makes sense since there is a semi official PPA now and Padoka Stable PPA exists. Makes Ubuntu more idiot proof staying up-to-date for the average gamer.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
      The only issue compared to windows is that it is difficult to stay right up to date on MESA graphics drivers unless you use an Ubuntu based distro.
      I've solved that issue for most distros--code to be released later. For instance to update mesa from git you can run a command, "build update mesa" or "bu mesa" then once your're done you can restart X. The build code could use your $HOME directory--that way you don't have to install over default system files. To build or update the entirety of X a person can just type, "build". To resume a cancelled build you can just type, "build". Or to build a range--"build from drm to amdgpu". It almost uses regular english sentences to do much of what you may need.

Comment

Originally posted by DanglingPointer View Post

I don't think you understood his english, or perhaps I'm not understanding yours... he said this...

..."The only issue compared to windows is that it is difficult to stay right up to date on MESA graphics drivers unless you use an Ubuntu based distro."...

So he's saying that it is easy with ubuntu (which makes sense since there is a semi official PPA now and Padoka Stable PPA exists. Makes Ubuntu more idiot proof staying up-to-date for the average gamer.
        Yeah, I understood that and I ment that I don't agree that it is difficult with all other distros than ubuntu-based distros. For example on arch you get a pretty updated mesa out of the box and if that is too old for you, you can always get mesa-git from AUR. And it is not harder than using Padoka PPA.

Comment

Working...
        X