AMD's Radeon R9 Fury Showing Some Gains With AMDGPU's DRM-Next 4.12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's Radeon R9 Fury Showing Some Gains With AMDGPU's DRM-Next 4.12

Phoronix: AMD's Radeon R9 Fury Showing Some Gains With AMDGPU's DRM-Next 4.12

On Friday I posted some early AMDGPU benchmarks of the DRM-Next code slated for Linux 4.12 using a Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" graphics card. As some additional reference points, here are some Linux 4.10 vs. 4.11 vs. (4.12; DRM-Next) code with an R9 Fury "Fiji" graphics solution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I recently switched to openSUSE Tumbleweed. I'm eager to compare these results with my own system as I am using the same GPU, but I can't seem to get pts installed. I depend on PHP7 for development, but pts version 7.0.0 (available via the Tumbleweed repository) seems to require PHP5 as a dependency. I was under the impression that pts supported PHP7. Michael: Any ideas?
    Last edited by bwyan; 02 April 2017, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Man, by this time next year, the out of the box distro experience in AMD cards will be unbeatable.

Comment

Originally posted by bwyan View Post
        I recently switched to openSUSE Tumbleweed. I'm eager to compare these results with my own system as I am using the same GPU, but I can't seem to get pts installed. I depend on PHP7 for development, but pts version 7.0.0 (available via the Tumbleweed repository) seems to require PHP5 as a dependency. I was under the impression that pts supported PHP7. Michael: Any ideas?
        It is easy to install via 1-click, it takes care of dependencies too... https://software.opensuse.org/packag...nix-test-suite

Comment

Originally posted by bwyan View Post
          I am on tumbleweed+fury X as well but with php5.6. Thus I ran the benchmark, see the results here

http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...RI-1704020RI98

unfortunately none of the steam based games would launch, due to "The test run did not produce a result."
          @Michael: any hint on this error message and how to debug? I cannot find logs.
          The steam-games start fine but then just sit idle in the main menu - the actual benchmark does not start...
          Last edited by tomtomme; 02 April 2017, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nesnomis View Post

It is easy to install via 1-click, it takes care of dependencies too... https://software.opensuse.org/packag...nix-test-suite
            Thanks, but the installer highlighted dependency problems because I have php7 installed (which I need in other contexts). Forcefully ignoring the php5 dependencies seemed to work, however.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              Man, by this time next year, the out of the box distro experience in AMD cards will be unbeatable.
              It already is, but yeah, ti will get even better, gr8 work from those guys.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                Actually it has already been that way since last summer. My fury cards are the best investment i have ever done...

Comment

Originally posted by vein View Post

Actually it has already been that way since last summer. My fury cards are the best investment i have ever done...
                  yep, I've had my r9 290 for almost 3 years. The difference in the quality of experience i get on Linux today is night and day compared to when I first got this graphics card. LOL I remember I had to choose between laggy 2d performance with the proprietary driver and unusable gaming performance on the open driver. Today everything pretty much just works for me with decent performance with the exception of vulkan. The only issue compared to windows is that it is difficult to stay right up to date on MESA graphics drivers unless you use an Ubuntu based distro.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                    yep, I've had my r9 290 for almost 3 years. The difference in the quality of experience i get on Linux today is night and day compared to when I first got this graphics card. LOL I remember I had to choose between laggy 2d performance with the proprietary driver and unusable gaming performance on the open driver. Today everything pretty much just works for me with decent performance with the exception of vulkan. The only issue compared to windows is that it is difficult to stay right up to date on MESA graphics drivers unless you use an Ubuntu based distro.
                    Well, if you dont like ubuntu then the different rolling distros seem to do a good job here. I use arch(antergos) and it updates great. And I have heard good things about opensuse tumbleweed too.

Comment

Working...
                    X