NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti On Linux: Best Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

qarium if you need a graphics card right now, you can
    - buy a Polaris 10 card, which is more modern, has more multimedia features, free driver support and due to high clocks occasionally even outperforms Fiji
    - buy a GP104 card (1080/1070), lacking free driver support but outperforming Fiji all the time
    - stick with your Fiji dream, if you have power, heat and noise to waste. Just look at benchmarks of the Fury for performance evaluation
    - use a cheap interim card and go for Vega
    Last edited by juno; 11 March 2017, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
      - buy a Polaris 10 card, which is more modern, has more multimedia features, free driver support and due to high clocks occasionally even outperforms Fiji
      Q already bought a Polaris 10 card...

Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        yes and the Fury X outperforms my Polaris card all the time. because of 225GB/s vs 512GB/s...
        Most of the time, not all of the time. In geometry-limited cases Polaris 10 is a bit faster.
        Test signature

Comment

Also, pure bandwidth means nothing.
          Also hoping for the binning rasterizer in Vega. If it works nearly as well as Nvidia's, it should save a ton of memory bandwidth.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
            - buy a GP104 card (1080/1070), lacking free driver support but outperforming Fiji all the time
            - stick with your Fiji dream, if you have power, heat and noise to waste. Just look at benchmarks of the Fury for performance evaluation
            - use a cheap interim card and go for Vega
            Well, I think you are wrong. There is times when you still want to/should buy fiji today. Especially now that stores are having sales on fiji cards. There is a local store here in stockholm that has been selling Nanos for approx. $199. Which is about 50$ cheaper that the polaris 10 card from them for better performance.

But, of course, if you can wait for Vega it would be better.

But buying GP104? No way, after how Nvidia is treating OSS, no one should ever buy their cards for linux...

Comment

I need a guide to install the GTX 1080 Ti, because honestly is not letting me, Do you have a tutorial? I am having a hard time installing it on Ubuntu or any linux. I tried Centos and Fedora, I had no luck. I can not conect to Mother board, the plug to the card is the only port that I have

Comment

My experience with ATI grafx card made me reluctent to buy another card... I am amazed by your feelings about UX as I experienced nightmares with ATI/AMD cards and none with nvidia when using proprietary drivers...
                I just bought a new rig and discarded AMD cards. Ok, I did not dig the Internet about support and all, but at the era of HD6570 (09/2013), many were raving about better 2D support and better image quality from ATI GPU against Nvidia GPU... A few month later got hands on nVidia Quadro K600, and I did not ever noticed any problem from 2D experience, and 3D experience was far far far better whereas this card was a slouch...

I need OpenCL performances for Darktable, so I made the choice of a GTX 1060 GPU. Only encountered one crash so far.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Then: It's a mistake to try to predict the weather of a new low and high pressure architecture before it comes out.
                  What?

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                    The top VEGA is meant to be a 12.5tflop card, how does that not compete with the 1080ti at 10.8tflop?
                    (we know AMD has a issue using their flops to full potential, but still..)

And as for performance, well that card was a prototype one running on some driver hack just to show it off, apparently it was FAR from a production ready card.
                    Take the AMD TF number and multiply it by 0.75 to get a comparable NV card number. So ... 0.75 * 12.5 = 9.375 which puts the Vega squarely in 1080 territory. In addition, the Vega only has 64 ROPs vs 96 for the Titan XP. Expect FuryX style bottlenecks all over again.
                    Last edited by deppman; 23 March 2017, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hxfhjkl View Post
                      I don't see a point in spending more than 250$~ for a gpu if you game on linux. There are not enough titles to warrant that kind of investment.
                      There are over 2,100 titles on Steam alone, including many AAA games. My kids are​ now playing Deus Ex, Mad Max (Vulcan) and Serious Sam (Vulcan) on our TitanXP system at 3440x1440. We have dozens of other games too, and performs is excellent.

Comment

Working...
                      X