AMD Kaveri vs. Intel Skylake With The Latest Linux/Mesa Open-Source Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marek View Post
    Showing performance per dollar would be interesting.
    yes, with investment and operating costs please.

Comment

@marek

Basically you can get the same Intel GPU with an i3 too.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Maybe AMD should send him some fresh APUs then, I can't really understand why the PR guys at AMD can't be smart enough to do it.
        Maybe they have, but Michael is a Intel/LLVM/Btrfs fanboy and don't care advertising products he doesn't personally like.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
          Showing performance per dollar would be interesting.
          But that would make Intel look bad which wasn't the point here. The original idea was to make Intel win in the test. Then design the test so that Intel wins. Now Intel wins. Ain't it great?

Comment

Kaveri A10-7850K released January 2014. and now is January 2017. if my calendar is right So 3 years old.

i5 6500/6600 released august/september 2015. So 1 year and half old.

They are both dated and there are newer products of course

On intel side it is 14 nm vs 28 nm on amd, DDR4 vs DDR3... not perf scalabile apps on non scalable api and non scalable drivers, random more or less cpu boundware everywhere on average... drivers has progressions but also regressions Basically that does not really show which GPU is faster, so just run Unigine benchmarks to show that and that is it

But thanks for benches anyway Michael, you didn't test AMD APUs for very much long
            Last edited by dungeon; 06 January 2017, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              Why do you people are making excuses for AMD? Until last year no Intel GPU could touch AMD ones in Linux.
              because those games are cpu bound and those intel "gpus" cost twice as much and compared against old generation of apus
              Last edited by pal666; 06 January 2017, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
                ... but it is also true that certain parts of radeonsi can be optimized to make it run faster.
                it is true for any piece of software

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  @marek
                  Basically you can get the same Intel GPU with an i3 too.
                  basically you can't get the same intel cpu with an i3

Comment

AM4 boards should be available soon, I'm sure this will be much more interesting in a few months. It's likely they will send him some samples as they are trying to break back into the market in 2017, both on the consumer and enterprise side.

Comment

Ran the tests on my A10-7800, results here:
                      OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

I did thee runs: one with my default settings (all with DRI3):
                      - TearFree=on + 2Gb VRAM
                      - TearFree=off + 2Gb VRAM
                      - TearFree=off + 1Gb VRAM

Most results are a little slower (as expected), however Bioshock Infinite is quite a bit faster.
                      Software is not the same though, I'm on Debian testing. Could it be the lower OpenGL (4.5 vs 4.3) level? Otherwise something is fishy...

Comment

Working...
                      X