No announcement yet.

Place Your Bets Now About The Power Efficiency Of The Radeon RX 480 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe around 85 watts under load for rx480.

Comment

Originally posted by danieru View Post
      Michael performance-per-dollar is missing

BTW you seem like you gained weight this year. But that's no reason to be like that while holding your RX 480. Just look around you, and see all you have build over the years: Phoronix, openbenchmarking, all those compile servers you have back there. Be proud!
      BTW. Are you european? Or asain? Because I find that my European and asain department mates make comments like this and don't realize how amazingly rude it is in American culture.

Comment

Considering that the "opponent" is not out yet and hasn't even been shown yet, the 480 at this point should beat everything as for price-performance ratio, probably power-performance too. Otherwise AMD could be in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
          Considering that the "opponent" is not out yet and hasn't even been shown yet, the 480 at this point should beat everything as for price-performance ratio, probably power-performance too. Otherwise AMD could be in trouble.
          Bigger chips usually has a better performance/power ratio. I'd be really surprised if RX 480 will be better than 1070/1080 in that regard. But performance/price will be definitely better.

Comment

BTW you seem like you gained weight this year.
            Actually I was going to say he looks great with the beard! I don't know about anyone else but I haven't seen it before.

Comment

BTW you seem like you gained weight this year. But that's no reason to be like that while holding your RX 480.
              Lol, I actually thought that was someone else. I thought his hair was darker, from seeing the "About the Author" pic, so many times. Comparing them side-by-side, it was just a perceptual thing, since nothing in the older picture is very dark.

Just look around you, and see all you have build over the years: Phoronix, openbenchmarking, all those compile servers you have back there. Be proud!
              Doesn't matter what your job, it can be difficult for many people to stay excited and enthusiastic, day after day, year after year. Work has a way of taking the fun out of things. And I say that as someone who likes my job.

Comment

Originally posted by puleglot View Post
                Bigger chips usually has a better performance/power ratio.
                Indirectly, because they generally aren't so dependent on clock speed. But the GTX 10xx series is clocked pretty high, so I think RX 480 might come out ahead.

Comment

The Ashes Async_Compute benchmark we all saw goes like this: 2x RX480 @11Tflops and 90% utilization(150 watts for both), had 10% more performance than a GTX1080 @9Tflops and 100% utilization(180 watts), wile the GTX was cheating with snow. Meaning that the +50% performance per flop comparison that Nvidia had is now lost and AMD does have a +35% performance per watt advantage (probably because of the lithography).

I also propose to stop benchmarking until there is at least one Async_Compute game on Linux, because you give false impressions about AMD GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Stress level at all time high? Yep, check.
                    I'm there as well man... I've gained 30 pounds over the last three months. I've almost hit that 200 mark. ;(

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                      I also propose to stop benchmarking until there is at least one Async_Compute game on Linux, because you give false impressions about AMD GPUs.
                      What matters is real-life situations. So whatever people play and run at the moment is most important. A game tailored towards AMD no one plays otherwise can be nice as marketing, but nothing more. E.g. Dota 2 with its 1M players per day is a lot more important than Ashes of Singularity or whatever marketing game.

Comment

Working...
                      X