NVIDIA Is Making A Big Announcement Tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
    Yawn, I have better things to do on Friday night. Wake me up when Zen launches.
    You're going to be asleep for a loooooong time.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

You're going to be asleep for a loooooong time.

Without forget if wait a bit more after zen be launched appears cannonlake and amd cpus back to stay behind intel again

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
        Also why would nvidia make their driver more modular? now theres nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset and nvidia_uvm. Perhaps they plan to release some of it to be open source?
        Because of IGP + dedicated GPUs combos on laptops and wayland that requires KMS.

Comment

It seems like an GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 launch as the polish PC portal said that the "next week is going to be busy as some non-reference cards are ordered and already coming". I really hoped that AMD would be first with their Polaris chips but it seems not. I hope that we'll see them not later then on Computex. bridgman, I am looking at you!

PS. But AMD is first with the firmware blobs - the Polaris firmware was published just about the publish time of NVidia's... Maxwell2 firmware so you guys can expect Pascal blobs at X-mas 2017 no opensource support till then

Comment

Allot of people SMASH NVIDIA for not being open-source, but those people really should go buy a, say 390x, then go buy a 980GTX and have a go comparing/playing steam games (you know, like ARMA3,ARK,all the BIG ones, not the small fry stuff). I can tell you now that you will come back saying 'I didn't know it was THAT BAD' because AMD drivers are still terrible, even when you get them working with your favorite games they perform terrible.

I had a 980GTX then got a 390x (vram reasons) and I'm forced to play my favorites in Windows because of the broken driver situation (talking about Radeon/AMDGPU which is only one that works with 'current Linux releases', the old catalyst drivers who really not much better, microstutter/fpsdrop galore! ).

SO the point I'm getting at is at least NVIDIA have DAMN GOOD working proprietary drivers! Which IN MY OPINION is WAY better then having a collection of fundamentally flawed drivers!!!

Comment

Originally posted by faldzip View Post
              It seems like an GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 launch as the polish PC portal said that the "next week is going to be busy as some non-reference cards are ordered and already coming". I really hoped that AMD would be first with their Polaris chips but it seems not. I hope that we'll see them not later then on Computex. bridgman, I am looking at you!

PS. But AMD is first with the firmware blobs - the Polaris firmware was published just about the publish time of NVidia's... Maxwell2 firmware so you guys can expect Pascal blobs at X-mas 2017 no opensource support till then
              Nividia releases first.
              AMD releases some months after.
              Nvidia lowers prices.
              AMD looses chance to make a profit.

That's how it went down for AMD lately

Comment

Yeah I'm sure AMD is making all the right moves to out flank NVIDIA, but at the end of the day I look at what the END USER (me) experiences, and I'm always brought to tears when attempting to use my 390x under Linux (yes I get it working, mostly, but 20fps with graphics glitches is not my idea of fun!)

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                  But that's the catch. It gets worse in firmware sense, since you can't use those cards without firmware blobs, and on the other hand it can make it much more straightforward for Nvidia to open the driver. Kind of a weird situation.
                  I don't think they're going to open up anything. The fact that it took as long as it took to get the firmware blobs for the 900-series clearly shows that they really don't care about people who don't want to use their binary driver.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                    I don't think they're going to open up anything. The fact that it took as long as it took to get the firmware blobs for the 900-series clearly shows that they really don't care about people who don't want to use their binary driver.
                    Nvidia has one driver that does the job on Windows, Linux, Solaris and FreeBSD.
                    Explain to me how a bunch of whiny users on a platform that has under 1% market share on the desktop can convince them a special driver is a good option for Nvidia?
                    I, for one, am grateful they even offer a driver that performs as well as it does.

When they had to write new drivers (for their embedded chips), they went open source. But those were new drivers. Rewriting something that already works is not good policy.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                      Rewriting something that already works is not good policy.
                      This is my point also, and NVIDIA's driver performance and compatibility is so far ahead of AMD that they could easily go on vacation for a DECADE and AMD will STILL be trying to figure it out!

Comment

Working...
                      X