Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Developer Hacked AMD's GCN GPUs To Run Custom Code Via OpenGL

Phoronix: A Developer Hacked AMD's GCN GPUs To Run Custom Code Via OpenGL

A Phoronix reader pointed out an interesting slide deck that's gone relatively unnoticed up until now about a game developer "Hacking GCN via OpenGL" for allowing some interesting possibilities...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...CN-OpenGL-Hack

Or he could have just hacked the open source driver directly and saved some time?

Comment

Any security issues with this or is it just a cool thing?

Comment

Just a cool thing.

Comment

What exactly is a GPU based OS supposed to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
            What exactly is a GPU based OS supposed to be?
            GPU based OS should be if you have working fully functional OS kernel on the GPU, instead of the CPU.... but i don't think there is the one

Best currently known combination is HSA - where GPU is coprocessor of the CPU... but that is GPU a like based OS
            Last edited by dungeon; 11-30-2015, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Presumably the byte stream verifier in the Kernel should prevent anything malicious being loaded from userspace (?) A moderately amusing hack while waiting for Vulcan that will basically support this type of thing officially, I suppose...

Comment

Uh, so it's a welcome back to the times of assembly-based shaders? Doesn't sound very practical to me.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  Or he could have just hacked the open source driver directly and saved some time?
                  I think main issue it's that there's no open source driver for Windows. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by SXX⁣ View Post
                    I think main issue it's that there's no open source driver for Windows. :-)
                    Yeah, the not-so-professional-powerpoint kinda showed that he did use Visual studio in windows. Yeah, I'll buy it, impressive discovery nonetheless.

Comment

Working...
                    X