Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Developer Hacked AMD's GCN GPUs To Run Custom Code Via OpenGL

Phoronix: A Developer Hacked AMD's GCN GPUs To Run Custom Code Via OpenGL

A Phoronix reader pointed out an interesting slide deck that's gone relatively unnoticed up until now about a game developer "Hacking GCN via OpenGL" for allowing some interesting possibilities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Or he could have just hacked the open source driver directly and saved some time?

Comment

Any security issues with this or is it just a cool thing?

Comment

Just a cool thing.

Comment

What exactly is a GPU based OS supposed to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
            What exactly is a GPU based OS supposed to be?
            GPU based OS should be if you have working fully functional OS kernel on the GPU, instead of the CPU.... but i don't think there is the one

Best currently known combination is HSA - where GPU is coprocessor of the CPU... but that is GPU a like based OS
            Last edited by dungeon; 30 November 2015, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Presumably the byte stream verifier in the Kernel should prevent anything malicious being loaded from userspace (?) A moderately amusing hack while waiting for Vulcan that will basically support this type of thing officially, I suppose...

Comment

Uh, so it's a welcome back to the times of assembly-based shaders? Doesn't sound very practical to me.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  Or he could have just hacked the open source driver directly and saved some time?
                  I think main issue it's that there's no open source driver for Windows. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by SXX⁣ View Post
                    I think main issue it's that there's no open source driver for Windows. :-)
                    Yeah, the not-so-professional-powerpoint kinda showed that he did use Visual studio in windows. Yeah, I'll buy it, impressive discovery nonetheless.

Comment

Working...
                    X