Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Extreme Cases Where A Sub-$200 NVIDIA GPU Can Beat A $550+ AMD R9 Fury On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Not off hand besides what the test profile exposes as that's what was recommended/told to me by the STK developers.
    the extra settings was mainly for xonotic
    *xonotic 1920x1080

edit(forgot to enable shadows)
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; 20 August 2015, 09:13 PM.

Comment

I use a Radeon HD6850. It runs the open drivers with great results at 1920x1200 pixels^2. I can play TF2, Borderlands 2, XCOM, Mark of the Ninja... I don't have to worry about installing new drivers every time a new kernel comes out, being kicked into the terminal without X to install drivers from the command line, installing the latest kernel-devel package, or any of that nonsense. 3 years ago Linux gaming wasn't even a thing, so this is amazing enough already.

Honestly, it's a little tiresome seeing these "Nvidia is great, AMD is terrible" headlines all the time. Sure, I don't have to read these announcements, but it's starting to rub me the wrong way. We get it -- it takes AMD months before their new hardware is supported on Linux.

Of course, the binary drivers are no different from Nvidia's strategy for everything else they do. CUDA, Gameworks, GSync -- they're all meant to lock you into their little ecosystem. In the long run, open drivers are better for the end users, and so is AMD's strategy.

What will start to become interesting is how open drivers will benefit 3D development. If game or engine developers hit a bug, they can go poke around the source, and maybe even fix it. Carmack noted that this was helping VR development on Android, so Mesa could be there soon.

Comment

We shouldn't be too hard on AMD. They aren't in the best position to do all the things they want to do. What's worse is that their bread-and-butter markets are constricting (PCs, dGPUs, etc.).

It felt kind of weird reading the highlights from IDF this week. Intel seems to be all-in on these IoT types of devices and small, low-margin embedded stuff. Even they're desperately trying to find alternatives to their core markets.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          I'm expecting Michael to write another article tomorrow about the case from (yesterday's ?) benchmark results where the less expensive AMD card was running at the same speed as the more expensive NVidia card.
          Gee, you think?)
          "NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 950 Is A $150+ Bargain For Linux Gamers" shortly after following by "NVIDIA's Current Pricing & Line-Up For The Maxwell Graphics Cards" and then "The Extreme Cases Where A Sub-$200 NVIDIA GPU Can Beat A $550+ AMD R9 Fury On Linux" thats about the same newly released gtx 950, also notice special stars to caught attention. This is basic marketing.
          Also i've noticed that each time he writes about AMD wins(including OSS drivers ones) he always have this 'but' to list failers but when he writes about Nvidia fails he always have 'but' for highlighting good things and soften bad ones or in some cases never writes an article or writes it when situation is smoothed already.

Ignoring extreme cases where cheaper AMD card is on par with much pricey Nvidia should not be a problem.

Comment

Wow... of all places to become a marketing podium for Nvidia. What has this Phoronix come to... I feel less inclined to read the news articles here for every day that passes.

As far as I am concerned, Linux is 99% about open-source and AMD is so much better in this category compared to NVIDIA.

Michael - you post very negative articles about AMD every day, and put all these *FEATURED* articles about how amazing awesome NVIDIA is. What kind of Linux advocate are you? I was a subscriber here once, but never again.

Comment

Michael, this is the kind of revolver-journalism we do not need. You are lying to your readers. You are lie not in what you say: but in what you omit to say.

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              I'm expecting Michael to write another article tomorrow about the case from (yesterday's ?) benchmark results where the less expensive AMD card was running at the same speed as the more expensive NVidia card.
              Michael, Please. Go and compare one of the AMD cards with one of the +4K$ Nvidia cards and write a similar article about that! (And do *not* pick exactly the one AMD card you know that has driver issues)

Comment

Originally posted by metalliax View Post
                Wow... of all places to become a marketing podium for Nvidia. What has this Phoronix come to... I feel less inclined to read the news articles here for every day that passes.

As far as I am concerned, Linux is 99% about open-source and AMD is so much better in this category compared to NVIDIA.

Michael - you post very negative articles about AMD every day, and put all these *FEATURED* articles about how amazing awesome NVIDIA is. What kind of Linux advocate are you? I was a subscriber here once, but never again.

There's frequent benchmark articles comparing the radeon driver to catalyst. Hell, he even benchmarks nouveau quite often to keep us up to speed with developments even though the results are the same every time - no clocking support = crappy performance.

I'm sure if Phoronix was some sort of corporate shill for Nvidia then Michael wouldn't need to ask for subscriptions and paypal donations. I, for one, don't feel as though there's a lack of impartiality. I just think Nvidia sends Michael a bunch of cards, so he benchmarks them, I don't think it's any more sinister than that.

Comment

Originally posted by sunweb View Post
                  Gee, you think?)
                  "NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 950 Is A $150+ Bargain For Linux Gamers" shortly after following by "NVIDIA's Current Pricing & Line-Up For The Maxwell Graphics Cards" and then "The Extreme Cases Where A Sub-$200 NVIDIA GPU Can Beat A $550+ AMD R9 Fury On Linux" thats about the same newly released gtx 950, also notice special stars to caught attention. This is basic marketing.
                  Also i've noticed that each time he writes about AMD wins(including OSS drivers ones) he always have this 'but' to list failers but when he writes about Nvidia fails he always have 'but' for highlighting good things and soften bad ones or in some cases never writes an article or writes it when situation is smoothed already.

Ignoring extreme cases where cheaper AMD card is on par with much pricey Nvidia should not be a problem.

Yeah, this is actually why I have stopped reading Phoronix that often...A few years back I was here almost every day but now I come here maybe once a month or less... I noticed that:

1. The site is always promoting Nvidia in all situations and putting AMD down.
                  2. I am not sure if they are lying but somehow when I do my own benchmarks with the same AMD cards, I always and I mean literally always, get better results...and this is with worse CPUs

So, yeah, I will never, ever be a subscriber or a donor...

Also: As for me, Linux is all about open-source, everything closed source is simply not an option...which means that nvidia is just not an option. Especially not after all the shit they have done lately.

Comment

The framerate of "supertuxkart" is much lower than the "Dirt" or "Xonotic". Once I spoke with them via IRC to change all the game icons, but they rejected me for no reason. They just optimize their engine to run on nvidia. They are just bunch of masturbating monkeys.

Comment

Maybe AMD should allow profile cloning in a simple way if the profile is generic, via env var or CAP editor - would like to know if there are improvement possible for those unoptimized games. PTS could help to test that...

@dungeon

As you suggested: do your own renaming tests and show the results!

Comment

Working...
                      X