Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Extreme Cases Where A Sub-$200 NVIDIA GPU Can Beat A $550+ AMD R9 Fury On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I read very well, Just because closed source games get released doesn't mean that closed drivers need to be used, especially when the available closed source driver is not a good driver.
    To me both are fine, well maybe on fglrx i just missing vdpau or on radeon i sometimes miss great performance of fglrx .

I am mostly opensorce driver user, but i can say that Catalyst is also for gaming as with Omega and recent drivers they started making good profiles recently for Witcher2, Tropics, CivBE, Borderlands2, Metro/LL, Half Life 2... for sure it is for gaming too, and as i mentioned earlier there is (a bit hidden) great performance potentional playground with it

Saying that Catalyst is not good driver, well i can't ever say that... maybe just because it is blob but i seen much worse drivers in my life Current Catalyst is a great driver, well if user don't want to roll other software too much
    Last edited by dungeon; 21 August 2015, 05:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post

You are not very good at reading.
    I read very well, Just because closed source games get released doesn't mean that closed drivers need to be used, especially when the available closed source driver is not a good driver.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied

Like I said that's not my opinion. You can stop projecting yours. For AMD hardware there is a shitty driver and a good driver. nVidia fanboys telling AMD users that they have to use the shitty driver is just plain wrong.

For almost every scenario AMD's OSS drivers are better than Catalyst.

EDIT: AMD's Catalyst drivers are -not- intended for linux gamers. Stop trying to project the idea that is what they are supposed to be used for. They aren't. AMD has invested a whole lot of effort into their OSS strategy for a damn good reason and that is for desktop linux users.
    You are not very good at reading.

Leave a comment:

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

There's frequent benchmark articles comparing the radeon driver to catalyst. Hell, he even benchmarks nouveau quite often to keep us up to speed with developments even though the results are the same every time - no clocking support = crappy performance.

I'm sure if Phoronix was some sort of corporate shill for Nvidia then Michael wouldn't need to ask for subscriptions and paypal donations. I, for one, don't feel as though there's a lack of impartiality. I just think Nvidia sends Michael a bunch of cards, so he benchmarks them, I don't think it's any more sinister than that.

Michael may not be a corporate shill, but he writes with a relatively extreme bias, and his posts as a result definitely aren't impartial, and yet even doing so his articles are still less stupid and biased than SJVN's over on Zdnet.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied

No, I'm not projecting an opinion, I'm tell you a fact: it is hypocritical to say "everything closed source is simply not an option" and then playing a closed-source game without complaint.

So much of this flame-throwing about nvidia's closed drivers really sounds like a desperate attempt to find something that can be used to disqualify.
    Like I said that's not my opinion. You can stop projecting yours. For AMD hardware there is a shitty driver and a good driver. nVidia fanboys telling AMD users that they have to use the shitty driver is just plain wrong.

For almost every scenario AMD's OSS drivers are better than Catalyst.

EDIT: AMD's Catalyst drivers are -not- intended for linux gamers. Stop trying to project the idea that is what they are supposed to be used for. They aren't. AMD has invested a whole lot of effort into their OSS strategy for a damn good reason and that is for desktop linux users.
    Last edited by duby229; 21 August 2015, 11:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• efikkan
    replied
    The reason why Nvidia has been offering great OpenGL support for years is the professional Linux customers which demand stable OpenGL. Gaming has not been a driving force. The Linux catalyst driver(fglrx) started out as a driver for FireGL for the same reason.

So then what about Vulkan. When AMD can't even offer good OpenGL support for all the professional users, how can a nearly bankrupt AMD afford to prioritize Vulkan support which is only going to be used for gaming? Keep in mind that AMD have two Linux drivers to implement this support.

I'm really worried about AMD.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied

That might be your opinion but it definitely isn't mine. Projecting your thoughts on other people is almost always a bad idea. At least some of your thoughts are in the minority.
    No, I'm not projecting an opinion, I'm tell you a fact: it is hypocritical to say "everything closed source is simply not an option" and then playing a closed-source game without complaint.

So much of this flame-throwing about nvidia's closed drivers really sounds like a desperate attempt to find something that can be used to disqualify.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    I really seriously doubt that AMD's OpenGL performance will ever be able to compete with nVidia's. I just don't see that ever happening. Improved? Absolutely, but it let's face it, OpenGL looks nothing at all like an AMD GPU. It's like trying to squeeze apple juice from an orange. But the game is going to change when Vulkan titles start becoming common. Go ahead and get your barbs in now.

EDIT: The fact that OpenGL works at all is pretty darn impressive. The overall driver experience is way better with the OSS drivers. That's what should be used. The only reason I can see for nVidia fanboys to tell AMD users that they need to use Catalyst is only so they have something to bitch about.

Meanwhile my desktop experience is definitely better than yours and my gaming experience is good enough for now.
    Last edited by duby229; 21 August 2015, 09:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied

This may shock you, but... sometimes people have other reasons for using Linux than just "it's open source".

However, if a person only uses Linux because "it's open source", then don't complain about a closed-source driver for a discrete GPU. Because the only thing you're going to do with that hardware is play a closed-source game.
    That might be your opinion but it definitely isn't mine. Projecting your thoughts on other people is almost always a bad idea. At least some of your thoughts are in the minority.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    That doesn't much sense. In that case just use windows. I thought people were finally starting to get over that.
    This may shock you, but... sometimes people have other reasons for using Linux than just "it's open source".

However, if a person only uses Linux because "it's open source", then don't complain about a closed-source driver for a discrete GPU. Because the only thing you're going to do with that hardware is play a closed-source game.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X