No announcement yet.

Radeon R9 Fury In Stock & Ordered, Linux Tests Are Imminent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's saying that he believes what AMD call a "module" should really be considered a core, making the FX-8350 a 4-core, but 8-threaded CPU. He's right that this would make AMD's CPUs look more impressive in some scenarios than they do now. However, that would mean a 4-core Bulldozer CPU would use a larger die than a 4-core Deneb CPU. People would just find another way to bash AMD's progress.

AMD's biggest mistake isn't Bulldozer, but not getting into ARM about the same time that Nvidia did. Tegra has been a big hit for Nvidia.

Comment

I know what he say, he have that one module/core approach on AMD's Cat cores... He can test let say Kabini vs Kaveri on same clock. Low powered Kabini has one core per module, unlike Kaveri which has 2 cores per module.

I tested that last year, results 4 core Kabini get was something like 10% faster then Kaveri @2GHz. So yeah there is a difference, but that is not as much as some might expect - that 10% to me does not even worth to mention

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
      AMD's biggest mistake isn't Bulldozer, but not getting into ARM about the same time that Nvidia did. Tegra has been a big hit for Nvidia.
      We can continue about wrong amount of cores advertised here, so yeah Tegra X1 is advertised as 8 core device big.LITTLE shit, so Nvidia is wrong
      Last edited by dungeon; 22 July 2015, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        I know what he say, he have that one module/core approach on AMD's Cat cores... He can test let say Kabini vs Kaveri on same clock. Low powered Kabini has one core per module, unlike Kaveri which has 2 cores per module.

I tested that last year, results 4 core Kabini get was something like 10% faster then Kaveri @2GHz. So yeah there is a difference, but that is not as much as some might expect - that 10% to me does not even worth to mention

We can continue about wrong amount of cores advertised here, so yeah Tegra X1 is advertised as 8 core device big.LITTLE shit, so Nvidia is wrong
        I guess I should word it like this..... The thing that makes a core is the ISA. With Tegra X1 the little and the big cores expose a fully functional ISA independently. They are all full cores. On AMD CMT architectures, it takes the module to provide the ISA. I wouldn't have too many complaints if it was marketed as a dual processor core. Which is exactly what CMTs biggest strength is. Call it semantics if you want, but at least in that scenario reviewers would be benchmarking actual core for core comparisons.
        Last edited by duby229; 23 July 2015, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
          He's saying that he believes what AMD call a "module" should really be considered a core, making the FX-8350 a 4-core, but 8-threaded CPU. He's right that this would make AMD's CPUs look more impressive in some scenarios than they do now. However, that would mean a 4-core Bulldozer CPU would use a larger die than a 4-core Deneb CPU. People would just find another way to bash AMD's progress.

If they had marketed it as an 8CPU/4Core configuration, I would have been happy with that. Reveiwers would still be benchmarking thread for thread comparisons, but at least we'd see core for core benchmarks too. It's pretty easy to prove CMT's scalability over SMT.

EDIT: When a core has dual processors then it's fair to set affinity and stress both of them for benchmarks. That's kinda the whole point of the CMT architecture. Right now that just doesn't get done.
          Last edited by duby229; 23 July 2015, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            I guess I should word it like this..... The thing that makes a core is the ISA. With Tegra X1 the little and the big cores expose a fully functional ISA independently. They are all full cores.
            Yeah 8 "full" cores 4 big 4 little There are ARM CPUs with real full 8 cores, compared to those nVidia's Octa Cores advertised is wrong.

That is your logic in practice, please don't try to defend intel's or nvidia's marketing
            Last edited by dungeon; 23 July 2015, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Yeah 8 "full" cores 4 big 4 little There are ARM CPUs with real full 8 cores, compared to those nVidia's Octa Cores advertised is wrong.

That is your logic in practice, please don't try to defend intel's or nvidia's marketing
              Ah, I give up. That's not at all what I said or what I'm trying to say.

The little cores are full cores and the big cores are full cores too. What makes a core is that it presents all the functionality it's ISA exposes. The little cores do that and so do the big cores. That the little cores expose less is irrelevant. (but also kind of the point)
              Last edited by duby229; 23 July 2015, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                The little cores are full cores and the big cores are full cores too. What makes a core is that it presents all the functionality it's ISA exposes. The little cores do that and so do the big cores. That the little cores expose less is irrelevant.
                When compared to x86 market or with real full and expensive 8 cores ARM CPUs... those Tegra X1 so called 8 cores advertising is wrong and also so called big cores does not exist, those so called big are small and those little are shits. Please define big.LITTLE? That is pure marketing. What is so big there and what is little That reminds me somehow on nVidia 970 4GB where 6/7 of memory is big, but 1/7 is LITTLE

If you have and think your idea is good and know how to do that no one else does with CMT please go to Don Valentino, you might succeed.

Comment

When compared to x86 market or with real full and expensive 8 cores ARM CPUs... those Tegra X1 so called 8 cores advertising is wrong and also so called big cores does not exist, those so called big are small and those little are shits. Please define big.LITTLE? That is pure marketing. What is so big there and what is little That reminds me somehow on nVidia 970 4GB where 6/7 of memory is big, but 1/7 is LITTLE

If you have and think your idea is good and know how to do that no one else does with CMT please go to Don Valentino, you might succeed.
                  The point of the little cores is to reduce power consumption. They fill that role. There exists a gigantic market for performant yet efficient handheld phones.

Comment

R9 Fury Linux benchmark results for those that didn't see yet - http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=21943
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X