NVIDIA Unveils The GeForce GTX 980 Ti At $650 USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by siavashserver
    Not worth a penny, unless they become more opensource friendly and stop shoving their crappy/proprietary techs (hairworks, gsync, ...) down our throats.
    LOL at you thinking G-Sync is crappy

Comment

Originally posted by Not83 View Post

LOL at you thinking G-Sync is crappy

I think you are slightly missing the point

Comment

Originally posted by Talavis View Post
        Geforce gtx 970 had two kinds of memory, where 3.5 GB was fast, 0.5 a bit slower.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8931/n...ory-allocation
        Wasn't that due to a bug in the firmware or in the hardware design?

Comment

I'm proud of AMD. Look at how they are making nvidia cower into dropping their outrageous prices. If it wasn't for AMD, Nvidia would probably priced this a few hundred dollars more. Fucking basterds.

Comment

Still waiting for a good low-end card that's a better option than the GT730. Something $50-75 that's passively-cooied and based on GM200 architecture.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post

Wasn't that due to a bug in the firmware or in the hardware design?
              It's not really a bug, but fundamental to the way they designed their hardware. The card in question disabled certain units on the card (to sell cheaper), which meant that it could no longer access the memory directly associated with it. The hardware worked around this, but the workaround was a bit slower than the direct access.

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
                Not worth a penny, unless they become more opensource friendly and stop shoving their crappy/proprietary techs (hairworks, gsync, ...) down our throats.

I may accept to buy Geforce and use their closed driver for 2-3 years, if they deliver for Linux the D3D9-10-11 front parts of their driver, so we can use them with Wine and Native D3D shipped with games and forget Windowz for ever. I totally believe that the best way to see more "open" things like drivers and games will be to make Linux a first choice and that will mean D3D compatibility for now. Also there is not guarantee that Vulcan will be even a second always present choice, except if we are more than 10% of the market. I totally think that we should find a way to run the D3D front part from the Windowz version of the driver, with the same Linux closed driver via Wine-winetricks (like Windows codecs and Linux mplayer). Or we can create a Gpu pass-through and run the entire Windowz driver with Wine-winetricks. One man solution, possibly for all vendors.
                Last edited by artivision; 01 June 2015, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X